What is where you live famous for

Good morning everyone😃 be interesting to know where you lovely people are from and maybe something unique about where you live.
For me I’m Nottinhgam the home of Robin Hood. Where Raleigh bikes once was and the John players cigarette factory.

3 Likes

The Bard and Aldi’s Uk Headquarters :smiley:

1 Like

Mr M comes from Nottingham of above fame .

We now live near Malmesbury the first capital of England under the first King of England ,King Æthelstan.
It has a huge abbey from the top of which Elmer the Flying monk first experimented with flight ( it failed he broke both legs and was lame ever after)

1 Like

The Great bed which is now kept in the V & A Museum

Lots of things…well here’s three of them :wink:

Schmith-Crawley-oben

photos-of-john-george-haigh-the-acid-bath-murderer-being-v0-az0hh2rfjto91

Take your pick…or not :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The bottom one must be George Haigh the acid bath killer ?

1 Like

It sure is Muddy…which is why he’s at the bottom :+1:

I was born in Notting Hill London and then moved around the SE area to finally settle in West Sussex with my Scandinavian wife. Our little part is known as Bersted and once formed part formed part of the Hundred of Aldwick, an ancient division of Chichester Rape :point_down:
The Rape of Chichester also known as Chichester Rape is one of the rapes, the traditional sub-divisions unique to the historic county of Sussex. The most westerly of the Sussex rapes, the rape of Chichester is a former barony, originally centred on Chichester Castle in the city of Chichester. The castle once stood in what is now known as Priory Park where the outline of the original motte can still be seen.

2 Likes

There’s loads of stuff where I live, vikings and romans left their mark here, we have a famous minster, home to two of the world’s biggest chocolate manufacturers, although one has since long gone, the birthplace of Frankie Howard and guy Fawkes…

1 Like

Most easterly part of the UK. We have a Bird’s Eye factory. And we have some beautiful beaches.

1 Like

I also come from Nottingham …

2 Likes

Big skies, beautiful beaches, cockles, crabs, poppies.

1 Like

We have some lovely places on our doorstep :blush:

1 Like

Leavesden near Watford, and 5 minutes walk from the Harry Potter studio tour. Never been, but I know all about the traffic :roll_eyes: …and Bradley Walsh went to the local schools.

1 Like

Hi

Battlefield 1403, the start of the Wars of the Roses.

Charles Darwin and Clive of India, amazing medieval architecture.

The longest street of Independent Shops in the UK, the Castle, Shrewsbury Flower Show.

2 Likes

Neighbours include:

Ali G, Benedict Cumberbatch, Hugh Grant, Brian May, James May, Jimmy Page, Paul Merton, Janet Street Porter, Lily Allen.

1 Like

Norman Gunston and Wollongong the Brave

1 Like

The longest living culture in the world?? First Nations - Oz

1 Like

Norma Gunston and Mohammed Ali

1 Like

Here in North Ayrshire there are theories that Kilwinning Abbey could be the final resting place of the Holy Grail as it is said that the town and surrounding area was home to a high concentration of Knights Templar. A few years ago there was more speculation that the Holy Grail may indeed still be in Kilwinning, resulting in some previously neglected back gardens being introduced to gardening equipment previously lying abandoned in garden sheds. - all to no avail, I must add!

Next to the Abbey is Mother Lodge No 0, the oldest established Mason’s lodge in the world although the present building only dates back to 1893.

1 Like