What is the Oldest Item in Your Food Cupboard/Fridge?

I fear you might be right. Operation Black Rice Pudding did not fare well, in fact I think it was more towards the debacle end of the cooking continuum.

Lurking in my kitchen are two panikins of blueberry coloured, sweet liquid with some soft black rice at the bottom.

The rest of the black rice has gone to the compost, it was 10 years out of date anyway.

2 Likes

Two years ago today I posted d00ds-amazing-meatballs. Pork & Oyster Sauce, and I haven’t used the oyster sauce since. It’s taking up valuable space in the fridge. I’ll bin it tomorrow.

1 Like

Although black spaghetti is delicious, it’s the squid ink.
I have some to use up that’s been knocking around in the cupboard for some time👍

1 Like

I’ve never seen black rice or black spaghetti. Where do you buy that?

I can’t remember where I got the black spaghetti, a delicatessen perhaps.
You can get black noodles too. I forgot about this pack until now, a bit out of date but I might throw caution to the wind tomorrow.

It’s been nice knowing you all :+1:

3 Likes

I am taking my spiced rum Christmas pudding to my daughter’s for next Monday. I have over written the 2021 expiry date with a Sharpie, she’ll never notice.

2 Likes

I’m a new member, so have to get the jest of things, looking forward :wink:

The oldest item in my food cupboard and fridge is a small container
of mustard. Cleaned my fridge up yesterday, and there it sat towards
the back of the first shelf. Opened it and checked the expiration date.
Well, it expired three months ago. Now tossed. I might not replace.
Obviously I am not a mustard lover… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Some tea bags from 2019, :laughing:

1 Like

Are you going to try them out?

1 Like

I did, and it tastes fine. But I think I will toss those and go tea shopping this week.

1 Like

Alas my Traditional Spiced Rum Christmas Pudding was not eaten. Oh well, this year perhaps?

1 Like

In a world of plenty, don’t people think they might be buying too much food?
There is nothing in my fridge or freezer that’s over a month old. Everything gets eaten well before any sell by, or best consumed before dates. Just eat more, or stop buying so much.

1 Like

I haven’t any ‘old’ food now. I threw away out of date bread yesterday, it was covered in green mold. Nearly ate it too til I noticed. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Another exciting find in my cupboard. Semolina - best before 3rd November 2010.

2 Likes

Can you remember why you bought it…and never opened it? :thinking: :rofl:

1 Like

I always liked milk puddings (a leftover from school dinners) so have bought tapioca and semolina on the past with the intention of making the puddings. Part of the problem with living alone is that packets are too big for one person.

Alas I also buy food “just in case” my cupboard is full of baked beans for example - I haven’t even looked at the dates on some of those - so things get pushed to the back as has happened with the semolina.

1 Like

That’s a shame. I like them too. Pity we’re not neighbours :rofl:

A couple or three years ago at work someone used some Twinings lemon herbal tea bags, which I had left there, with an expiry date of 2006 but I suppose those things last for ever!

I also used some ulong noodles recently which had lain in a cupboard for an indeterminate time as there was no date on the sealed package They were ok but will keep an eye on these in future as they are not like dried egg noodles

1 Like

I have a slice of wedding cake in my freezer - from my wedding in 1986. :open_mouth:

It has survived several freezers and several power outages, would probably crumble like sawdust if I tried to thaw it now.

2 Likes

The oldest items are those tins on the bottom right….nearing their use by date next month…and those Nairns oatcakes have to be used by the end of February.
Have to stuff a few more tins in tomorrow….done a mainly tinned stuff shop shop with ASDA.

1 Like