What is the Oldest Item in Your Food Cupboard/Fridge?

Somehow you just never threw it out….and would you dare use it?

2 Likes

Parmesan cheese in a little plastic container…I have been trying to remember when I bought it I think it was on a holiday to Italy a few years ago…disgusting I know :flushed:

Would.I use it now…nope and your post has prompted me to throw it out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Or you could consider it vintage and well matured :wink:

2 Likes

More rancid than vintage…dont think I’ll risk it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve a unopened bag of extra large bow tie shaped pasta leftover from the lockdowns :flushed:

2 Likes

When my wife buggered off I found jar of Vegemite at the back of the cupboard that had expired 12 years before. The kids quite happily ate it over the next six months on their school sandwiches - they still survive a quarter of a century later.

What does not kill you makes you stronger.

3 Likes

I am here to serve :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My oldest items will be tinned and checked regularly for dates. Anything 3yrs past its use by date is discarded. I can remember when non dated cans were prevalent and then I’d press the top to see if it ‘clicked’ (caused by decomposition gases) and if it did it was binned.

2 Likes

You may be in luck:

Dry Pasta

Pasta won’t spoil easily because it’s a dry product. You can use it well past the expiration date, so long as it doesn’t smell funny (egg pasta can produce a rancid odour). Generally, dry pasta has a shelf life of two years, but you can typically push it to three. So go ahead and make that lasagna or carbonara using the noodles you found hidden at the back of your pantry.

After I acquired the habit of “overstocking” (or just-in-case) during the lockdowns I organised my shopping habits by downloading grocery shopping and storage apps - currently I use Anylist (phone and PC) and BestBefore (phone only) … :+1:

3 Likes

Dammit! Found some macaroni, which I wanted to cook yesterday, with a best before date Feb 2023, so I binned them.

2 Likes

Anyone fancy a lockdown pasta party :balloon:

2 Likes

Is it a “bring your own” pasta party … :wink:

4 Likes

No thanks😀

2 Likes

Baked bean pots. I really should chuck them out. I am sure they are out of date but haven’t checked them.

1 Like

Stop trying to wriggle out of enjoying a bowl of my … lockdown pasta !

2 Likes

Tins of soup which are 7 years out of date.
I shall offer them to my X :grin:

3 Likes

We still have some jars of home made marmalade dating from 2017. Opened one recently and its perfectly edible - just a mature vintage.

2 Likes

That was a brave decision - Nigella says:

Home-made jam should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct light and used within 12 months of making. Once opened the jar should be stored in the refrigerator and used within one month. We would suggest discarding any jars of jam that have mould growing on top.

Presumably, you didn’t see any mould growing … :hushed:

1 Like

I remember when my mother made jam she used to seal the jar with molten lard before she put the lid on.

2 Likes

Definitely no mould on the surface of the marmalade or it would have been thrown. The lid still popped when opened. All our home made preserves are stored in a dark and cool cupboard. Once its opened its used in an appropriate time. Admittedly jams can react differently but you can buy jars of mature marmalade - such as Frank Cooper’s.

2 Likes