What is the oldest coin that you own?

Post a picture with a short description please!

You are joking.
Thats a marriage invitation

1944 silver sixpence. No photo available

Oh shoot! No I’m seriously asking about coins. You know the thingies made out of some sort of metal?

Lovely ST. Is it circulated or uncirculated

I though you meant treasure trove

Went out of circulation a long time ago, Minx, when UK went decimal.:smiley:

[ATTACH]14494.vB[/ATTACH]
It is a treasure trove. Here’s my oldest coin

Date: 328-329

Wow, Minx, where did you find that one?

ST, I know. What I meant to ask is was your coin actually circulated in 1944 or is your coin uncirculated (brand new) ?

Hence the request for a picture :slight_smile:

That’s from a coin dealer in France.

A coins value is determined by its ‘newness’ and the number of coins minted in that specific year.

Doubt anyone could top that Minx.

I’ve got some old coins somewhere but not very old.

That’s a pity. Considering the Forum, I figured someone would have a coin much older.

I do enjoy a good coin

I have a tin of “funny money” somewhere in the attic, but I’m not going in there without a rope tied round my waist lest I need pulling out.

There are notes and coins of different eras and denominations from around the world that I hoped my kids would want, but they have never shown an interest.

I know I have a lot of pre-decimalisation coins going back to the eighteen hundreds, but they are probably worth more in scrap copper/silver than as collectibles.

There are several dozen farthings, ha’pennies, pennies including cartwheel pennies, brass and silver threepenny bits, sixpences, shillings, florins (two shillings) half-crowns (two and a half shillings) and crowns (five shillings).
My Dad found a lot when he was out with his metal detector, and quite a few have been badly worn down by sand and tide.

I have a USA Buffalo nickel (5c with a Buffalo stamped on it) from about 1898 that I was given whilst working over there.

I also have a half sovereign in a clasp that could be worn as a brooch, an Australian shilling that was my Mum’s, as well as a German 2 Mark note and a 10 Pfennig note, and a French 50 Centimes note that my Grandad brought back having survived the horrors of WW1 as an Artilleryman.

Teddy Seven 1909 Half Sovereign.

1910 Aussie Shilling on one of R Mar’s cuddly toys.

Removed from its clasp.

1906 £1,000,000.00d note :mrgreen:

Those look lovely! What a treat

There was a sovereign as well that I gave to my big brother, but I can’t remember what year it was.

Are you interested in notes as well or only coins?
I have no real interest in the intrinsic values of the coins and notes, but I am interested in their history and how they came to be in my family’s possession.