What Is ‘Gaslighting’?

My position on that is that everybody is different. Anybody who is a student of human behaviour needs to realise that there are some broad categories and types of behaviour that can be used as a general guide. Call them “labels” if you will. But at the end of the day we are all different. Some people may exhibit behaviour that could be labelled as “gaslighting” but they may only do it to one person at one stage of their life. Say a partner or a sibling. Others may use it habitually as a general pattern of relating to vulnerable people around them to get the better of them or for personal gain. In the case of a boss who may undermine the confidence of subordinates to keep them dependent. Some case may be mild and subtle, others extreme and brutal. It basically entails convincing somebody that they are inadequate or weak and dependent on you for validation. It’s a little different to bullying but not much. Countermeasures can be good supportive counselling and education with a person as to what is happening. Helping somebody who has been even a short term victim of this behaviour is a sensitive and complex process. The first step is to try to break the cycle of abuse by reality checking with the victim as to why they need such conditional approval from the person and that there being is not defined by them. Being assured by a mental health professional that they are not “going mad” - which they seldom are- Is a powerful tool that if used well can be of great help. Anyone of any age can be a victim or a perpetrator. The old story is that if a destructive habit is not challenged it can very easily last for life. Rhetorical questioning accompanied by belittlement is one brief form of what could be considered gaslighting. Simple name calling and questioning somebody’s intelligence and/or experience to obtain a superior position without the effort of rigorous argument or real knowledge is an example.

Gaslighting, not a nice way for people to play but a lot of people do it.

It’s what my ex husband did to me over the years, I didn’t realise it at the time but once we finally split up and I was away from him I started to understand it. I slowly returned to being myself but it took a very long time. It wasn’t called gaslighting back then.

2 Likes

My late Mother was guilty of gaslighting, myself and sister became to hate each other for the lies we were fed constantly by her…
We have never ever managed a proper sister relationship to this day.

Durning me early years, my maternal grandparents only had gas lighting. When they moved to a house that had electric, they found out what they had been missing and Nan could iron without using a flat-iron heated on the gas stove👍

1 Like

Coercive control could be another name for it.

2 Likes

Even as a kid I remember the film as being a very good one, and the term stuck with me ever since.

The response was too cute. Hoping you were kidding.

Gaslighting, when in a discussion that turns into a disagreement, the other person keeps turning it back on you saying its your fault that something happened, you misunderstood something, you’re this you’re that…and they take no responsibility.

1 Like

Its a song by Leo Sayer

You’re getting confused with his Moonlighting :wink:

Gaslighting, trying to convince another (s) that they are forgetting things they’ve never said, doing things they’ve never done and general belittling.
Common ploy in domestic abuse.

1 Like

Helen your description sounded like memory lane from long ago

1 Like

Yes it is, and hopefully we can learn from our mistakes.

Hi Helen, good morning

I’m working on it. hoping to start divorce proceedings within the year. :slight_smile:

1 Like

AND !! TOTP. 1940 >>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBEn_PM1ASk :grinning: