What is a decent amount of income

I am bringing in just over £2000 take home from a work pension and a part time job and my bills come to £815 at present.

I am 54 and worried that it may not be enough in the future. What does anyone else think? I have £150000 in savings and my house is worth 470000.

1 Like

Good afternoon Aytee. Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

It all depends on your circumstances and lifestyle.

We watch our money okay but it is just inflation etc

How did you get a work pension at 54?

How your workplace pension is paid

Most pension schemes set an age when you can take your pension, usually between 60 and 65. In some circumstances you can take your pension early. The earliest is usually 55.

Hi Aytee enough for just what ,kind of the same response as Flloydy’s really ? .

55 is the earliest you can draw a workplace pension.

I was in the police under the old system

Oh fair enough :slight_smile:

Mate, I’m in a similar situation to you. I’m 55 in October and I’ve worked out what I need to withdraw from my pension pot. Things I need to pay off plus a new account I’m opening which will have a few thousand in it to cover household emergencies and holidays.
Work out what you need to cover your bills and food etc and go from there.
Make a list.
Be mindful though that only 25% is tax free.

At the moment that is a good income .

Yes it is just the future between now and 67. My daughter has gone through it with me and she thinks I am okay. I just feel with inflation etc I may struggle a bit

It is okay at the moment but I just worry about between now and 67. I am concerned that bills are going up more than my income

Just worried about stuff going up faster than my income

Go online or speak to PensionWise. They offer a very good service and it’s free too.

Honestly though, it is just a matter of weighing up what you have to spend on outgoings and take it from there. Don’t withdraw more than you need…but then again you can always put it back in again.

Not necessarily, though - I started drawing a reduced workplace pension (local government) at 53 after retiring early - the amount was increased yearly to a full pension two years later … :069:

So why did ask the question to Aytee about how he drew his pension at 54 in your first post?

Perhaps I am worrying unnecessarily.

It’s a big decision, Aytee and the worry is if you are planning it out correctly. If you are, and you arrive at a workable plan then you have no need to be concerned. be cautious and if you are at all worried then get some advice from PensionWise mate (not from Omah) :cool:

I know more than you do about my pension.

*** Please stay on topic, some posts have been removed

Pensionwise offer sound advice … :!:
https://www.pensionwise.gov.uk/en

Professional advice is always the best solution for pension queries … :!: