What if the Sun Exploded suddenly?

According to prof Brian Cox the sun would start to expand in an attempt find material to feed the fire…We would end up being that material, but it would be a gradual heating process rather than an instant explosion.
:sunny:

2 Likes

That must be what being cremated is like :laughing:

3 Likes

Horrible thought, but you might be correct. A pressure cooker!

2 Likes

I hope I’d be unaware. Sounds like a horrible 8 minutes that won’t make a difference.

1 Like

just the tan I’ve always wanted!

1 Like

That’s the thing butterscotch, the more you have crammed into your life, the longer it will take to flash before your eyes :laughing:

2 Likes

For some bizarre reason, when I read the thread title, I thought you were talking about The Sun newspaper - I would be cheering if that rag suddenly exploded! :joy: :rofl:

I can’t get my mind around the idea of the real Sun suddenly exploding - it’s so unlikely in our lifetime, I think - if that happened, I probably wouldn’t have time process the information before my demise.

1 Like

There was a BBC drama based on sun destroying the earth…It was good and probably would unfold in real life if that was to happen…

Hard Sun is a pre-apocalyptic crime drama set in contemporary London. The protagonists are two mismatched police officers, Charlie Hicks and Elaine Renko, who stumble upon proof that a mysterious cosmic event will destroy the earth in five years, a fact the government is trying to keep secret to avoid complete anarchy. The duo is pursued by MI5 operatives who are trying to silence them for good.[12]

1 Like

The interesting scenario is where you will be when death occurs, and, will you have any control over it

2 Likes

Yep, knowing how much the establishment keep from Joe public, we might never know when…
:sunny: Boom…

1 Like

well I was lying on bondi beach the other day and thought it had?

1 Like

Goodness, what could cause that? Our sun has trillions of years of life left before the helium burns out and eventually becomes a nebula. By the time that happens, we’ll either be extinct or have developed the technology to relocate human life elsewhere.
Our sun is way too small to go supernova and explode.

3 Likes

Sorry, can’t comment, never seen a Sun explode before so, all we have is data :icon_wink:

2 Likes

And computer modelling…The computers don’t do a very good job forecasting the weather further than a week, and they have most certainly got it wrong about the effects of CO2 on the atmosphere.

1 Like

We just need to wait, and see.

1 Like

Check out the NASA website. They have tons of real imagery from supernovas! :smiley:

1 Like

I bet they do. :grin:

1 Like

Lots of imaginary :icon_wink:

1 Like

It used to be called ‘An Artists Impression’ then it was ‘CGI’ now it’s Al…Who the hell is Al?

I gather that Betelgeuse is due to explode quite soon, in about 100000 years which is soon in cosmological terms. I shan’t wait up.

3 Likes