What have you done in the garden today?

Just general tidy ups and filling the long tubs with bedding plants, standing at the back door just now and I can’t believe how heavy with blooms my Danny’s Tree is this year.

2 Likes

That’s a cracking tree, Rox! Gorgeous…

Thankyou Pixie, it was just a wee thing when I bought it back in 2011, my Danny had passed away with liver cancer and I wanted something to mark his grave. He was my favourite of all my Bobtails.

4 Likes

Its a beautiful way to remember him, Rox… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Today saw me start the fixing of the outdoor pizza oven. I built it about 4 years ago but made a mistake on the finish. The structure is sound but I tried using lime cement to cover it. I’d thought that it would work well with the heat changes from firing and cooling the oven. Not so. Within months the lime cement was crumbling. Plus it does not seem to have weathered well over the winters. A fix is needed.
I’ve got rockwool for more insultation (should allow the oven to get hotter, quicker), chicken wire to cover that insulation and hold it in place. And refractory cement to cover it all. Plus a calculation of the surface area of half a sphere.
Today was simply placing screws in all around and over the outside of the oven to hold the chicken wire and insulation in place. My hand is now numb from over use of the hammer drill.

1 Like

Slug hunting, having a lot of trouble this year with the wet weather.

I absolutely love Erigeron :heart:

1 Like

Pulled up all of the dying hyacinth leaves and put them in the compost bin, haven’t had time for anything else.

Sage bushes, foxgloves and alliums flowering well and attracting plenty of bees.

3 Likes

I have planted radishes, but mostly just sat in it for the most part…

1 Like

The mini-meadow is no more. After 5 weeks of letting the ‘lawn’ grow wild, I’ve cut it down. Some of the grass stems had grown to about 18" high. Also trimmed back the hedge that borders it.

1 Like

The broken looking pizza oven is no more - the re-cementing of the outside is done. This past week meant intricate fixing of small, bespoke cut sections of insulation, fixing chicken wire all over the oven and finally working out how to stop the wet cement just slipping off.
Done, and cementing done. I think it is reasonable to say that I am knackered and my back is broken. Just need to wait a few days for it all to set … and for the weather to get better. Then garlic bread fest.

2 Likes

Replaced the ends that had gone rotten on a couple of our sheds…

2 Likes

<<< Still figuring out. Where to start.
Sticky Note. “Must evict the Pygmies first”

2 Likes

Planted out the pot marigolds along the path, they grow to about 8in, they’re behind the polyanthus.

Tidied up the polytunnel and planted the tomato plants into their pots. Quite a good crop of strawberries this year. These do much better in the tunnel growing in pots than if grown in beds outside.

Pricked out 62 polyanthus seedlings into cell trays and put them outside and did a bit of watering.

Being Green Fingered. :rofl:
Sowed [Chucked] 1 Kg of Wild Flower seeds 3 months ago.
Villagers not laffin now. Up for. The Wildest Gardner on the block.
One complaint from Jethro." I just got stung by a wasp Me ole cocker" :innocent:

sat innit

Picked my first ripe cherry tomatoes :smiley:
Salad time! :yum: