What fats/oils do you use for cooking?

I usually use the Rapeseed oil in a glass bottle from Lidl, I only ever grease the pan with it and then wipe round with kitchen roll after so rarely need to wash the frying pan.
I never buy butter now it’s so expensive.

2 Likes

On a more seasonal note I’m very much looking forward to buying a jar of both duck and goose fat.
It’s a trad thing, almost a bit of a ritual.
Gorgeous when making well seasoned roast potatoes! :christmas_tree:

1 Like

Spread it thinly on both sides of a slice of bread and fry. :+1:

2 Likes

Oh yes!!!
Hadn’t thought of that, now we’re cooking :wink:
Thanks d00d!

2 Likes

I use extra virgin olive oil for everything.

1 Like

Good grief! My cholesterol is spontaneously rising as I read this! :joy:

1 Like

Thankfully I don’t have a cholesterol problem, but I am still careful.

These fats have less cholesterol than butter.

And it’s all good nosh.

1 Like

I have had duck before and found it quite lovely. I couldn’t eat it now though, makes me sad. I’m surprised it has less cholesterol than butter though…thats unfortunate…I like butter :frowning:

2 Likes

go for it

:crazy_face:

3 Likes

It’s seasonal, let yer hair hair down, loads of extra buttery homemade mince pies too. :slightly_smiling_face:
We always have Joyless January to look forward to…in the meantime I shall make merry! :+1:

2 Likes

I may have had some of them already… ahem :eyes:

2 Likes

Great minds!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t like duck or goose fat as I hate seeing that congealed white grease, it makes me feel quite sick, especially the thought of having to clean it up!

3 Likes

Vegetable oil mostly. Just made some brownies yesterday.

2 Likes

When I’ve got some, duck fat is fantastic.
In the pantry I have four jars, each with a pair of confit legs in their own fat. A friend has a “steriliser” - essentially a large water bath and the raw, salted legs are placed in this in their sealed jars. Three hours of slow simmer later and the pairs of duck legs are ready for storage. The fat from them rises up to seal them in the sterilised jars. Home made confit.
Later in the year I’ll start using them - simply scrape off the fat for other uses (potatoes!!!) and oven heat the legs. More fat will drain off and be added to the jar (more potatoes!!!).
I’m lucky though, I live almost next door to a duck farm where they outdoor raise the ducks and geese. Their tins of rillettes are excellent.
PS Last year, after much digging I discovered that our kitchen sink does not in fact drain into the septic tank as I’d assumed it would. All other sinks, showers and toilets do. But as duck and goose fat is very commonly used round our parts, the kitchen drains into a ‘fat trap’ and then out to a soak away in our field. Clever.

1 Like

I have recently started substituting rapeseed oil for marge or butter in cakes.
Not only does it mix much easier but there is no difference to flavour and sponge cakes rise better.

Just mop it up with a thick crusty door step and a little salt and pepper!
Saves on the fairy liquid.

:face_vomiting: the very thought!

1 Like

That’s not really homemade if the contents came out of a jar surely?

Might as well buy the Coles/Woollies Mince pies. My friend makes her own mincemeat, her mince pies are to die for (alas I only get six)

Fair point Bruce, I’ve never thought about making my own mince meat, I just might give it a go.

1 Like