What Fat Do You Use To Make A Victoria Sponge Cake?

Years ago, l used Stork Margarine to make a Victoria Sponge. Then l changed to, l Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter. More recently, l have been using Flora Buttery.
I was quite happy with Flora Buttery until recently when l found the sponge texture to be a bit crumbly. I looked online and saw that Flora have changed Flora Buttery and are using buttermilk.
Yesterday, l thought l would try, l Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter again and hope that my sponges will be as they should be… light.

Some may recommend l use butter, as l do for rich cakes but l feel it might make a Victoria sponge a bit heavy.
So l ask, what fat do you use for your Victoria sponge cakes, or one you could recommend?

1 Like

I use Tesco’s Spreadable and find it’s easy to use and tasty too. £2.20 for a large tub and it really is a straight-from-the-fridge product. I tried straight butter, but it was hard work and I felt like I was fighting the mixture.

1 Like

I use Stork, always seems to make a light sponge.

1 Like

Thank You LongDriver.

I hadn’t thought of using an own brand margarine. I suppose, l thought they would have ‘a taste’?

I suppose, Waitrose or M&S would be a good ‘own brand’ to consider?

Barry, You make sponges? I’m impressed!
Any pics?

1 Like

Art, I have made Victoria sponge with butter, imo it was to heavy.

My sponges are now fatless and oh so light, I found a great recipe online by “ Yum it”…best sponge I have ever made!.

I found them on YouTube and always use their recipe.

2 Likes

Yes I love cooking, always have done but so does Rosemary and she’s an excellent cake maker, so I’m very careful not to compete and only make cakes very rarely these days. I usually stick to the savoury dishes with just the occasional Victoria sponge or scones at a weekend .:blush:

1 Like

Thank You, Pauline.

The only time l have made a fatless sponge was for a Swiss Roll. I also made a fatless sponge for a gateau but l wasn’t too keen.
I’m sure, your fatless sponges are really lovely but l would prefer to use fat. I think mine would be like two biscuits sandwiched together if l didn’t use margarine in them!!

1 Like

For me it took practice Art, it’s incorporating all that flour into the whisked egg yolks and whisked egg whites and sugar, seems to take forever, plus it has to be done so lightly,so you don’t knock the air out.

You have not got me thinking I want to make a sponge,:joy:

I would say use light margarine Art, you must post a picture of that sponge when you bake, because I just know it will look yummy,

Decisions on what to, sandwich it together with, fresh cream, or buttercream, with jam or fresh fruit…yum…my taste buds are now taking over!

1 Like

Pauline, l just stick all the ingredients into my Magimix Food Processer. Press the ‘On’ switch for 15 seconds, into the two tins and into the oven. They come out well risen and light!

I do make sure the fats, eggs and the little milk l add, are at room temperature and not straight out of the fridge.
It’s the new recipe Flora Buttery that’s spoiling the texture of them.

PS. Pauline, I laughed at you now wanting to make a sponge. I am going to make a lemon sponge cake and fill it with lemony butter cream and lemon curd!
I then might make some Bakewell Tarts!! Ha!

1 Like

Yes, I read that Art, that’s a shame, I’ve just looked online for the best margarine to use in Victoria sandwich, it was the the one you were originally using “ Stork” so I would stick with that one, I may beat you to it, as I fancy making a sponge with stork, mine has usually in the past been made with butter, which was far to heavy imo.

Good luck and don’t forget that photo of it?.:grin:

1 Like

I have to go to work now, darn it…you must post a photo of them please,:grin:

I love lemon cake, lemon curd, my mouth is watering.:+1:

1 Like

Pauline, Yes, and a pic of yours too!!

The thing is, when you want it to be good, you try too hard and it comes out not so good.
Mine are the best when l just sling everything together and stick it in the oven!
No faffing about trying to achieve excellence!!

I can’t stop laughing! We are two little piggies! We will probably eat too much of them and feel sick! :laughing:

The contest begins! Does anyone else, want to compete too?

I use Stork, the hard block type, not the soft, like my mum and granny did before me :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The trick is to beat it by hand with the caster sugar until it’s white and fluffy, then beat in the eggs bit at a time so it doesn’t curdle, then fold in the flour and baking powder

Oh how I wish I could still get Birds Golden Raising Powder !

Maree, l never use baking powder in cakes as it always makes the back of my bottom, front teeth feel rough!

They always rise ok and l only use 5oz of each ingredient and two of my hens’ eggs plus a little milk.

2 Likes

l have only just made the Lemon sponge as l had a busy day. The cake is lovely and soft but still slightly crumbly. I used some of the lemon juice as well as the grated lemon, instead of a little milk.
Here’s a pic of it… it wouldn’t win a prize at the Women’s Institute!

Pauline did you manage to make your cake?

6 Likes

Art, that looks “ amazing “ beautifully risen, my aunty used to enter Victoria sponge in our fete and won 1st, yours would definitely win Art.

I’ was busy yesterday and travelling to my sons since 7.13 am…so haven’t had time to make one, I will make one when I get back home ,then I’ll post a pic of it , I think I have high competition here Art, so may have to make quite a few…:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

It looks so light , what margarine did you end up using?

Oh yes it would a prize!!..I keep looking at it, I can see it’s lightness.
I know it’s lemon sponge, is that lemon buttercream in the middle?
By the way it looks a professional sponge, so please don’t put yourself down!.

I was a cook for many years and the residents and their families loved my sponges made with margarine and I made hundreds.much nicer than made with butter much to heavy I found, those were the ones I made at home.i used to take then down to the gym as well for the personal trainers, …I think cooks are very critical of themselves.

Edit to add…I much prefer the butter less sponges , filled with fresh cream ,raspberries compote.

1 Like

I use butter in all cakes , I don’t like artificial fats like margarine that give cakes an odd taste.
Butter does not make cakes heavy when correctly mixed , the secret of light buttery cakes is to have butter and eggs at room temperature not taken straight from a fridge.

3 Likes

You beat me to it…@Meg.
Many years ago at School we were all given a Stork Cookery Book… I used that book faithfully for years so got to use only Stork.
But then I needed to improve my diet, I had lost along the way, the Stork Cookery Book.
I turned to the better option of Butter.
One reason you get heavy rubbery sponge cakes is because the Flour has been over mixed.
Yes and a Meg states.room tempreture for the ingredients which is the correct way
My cakes are very light and fluffy. 99 times out of 100…
p.s. melted butter a big no no…just slightly softened if you must.
I use a Food Mixer by the way. I mix the sugar and butter to a fluffy consistency before adding the eggs with a little flour to stop the curdle affects.

2 Likes