What does "staycation" mean?

I came across this word in a British newspaper. It is obviously something to do with holidaying but what exactly does it mean?

Yes, I know I could have googled it but I would rather someone explains the nuances of it.

In our case it means we holiday in Brighton, Bogor or Shanklin for example. I’ll leave others to suggest some examples from the desolate north :wink:

I think it means going away on holiday but not too far, somewhere that offers familiar food, and not using your passport. And probably the same weather as at home. And likely to end more expensive that last year’s holiday.

1 Like

It means staying at home but having days out to places in your own country.
It seems to have become just going on holiday in your own country but the clue is in the “stay” bit, meaning you are not paying for hotels.

2 Likes

Yes I always thought it meant holidaying at home , going out on day trips

2 Likes

Hi

You can have a staycation here in Shropshire.

It means bring your scuba gear if you want to go for a walk.

5 Likes

It, of course, is VACATION where you STAY in your home country.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what I thought it was too

Sleeping in your own home but going on day trips or doing things you’d do on holiday, like meals out, theatre, cinema, spa days etc

I suppose to us retired, it’s a permanent staycation!

2 Likes

AFAIK it means taking a holiday in your own country. We have a house we let for holidays and people leave comments in the Visitors Book like “had a great staycation. No need to go abroad when we have lovely places like this in our own country.”

Spot on RoseRed.
You can`t beat a good holiday in the UK.

Staycation to me means holiday at Home ,not going anywhere.

2 Likes

Probably one of those ‘Americanisms’ that has wormed it’s way into the English language…
:nerd_face:

1 Like

No doubt, seeing as we don’t use the word vacation in this country.

2 Likes

I think when this portmanteau word was originally used in USA, it was to describe staying at home whilst on vacation.

I’ve noticed in recent years, since Brits have started taking more holidays in U.K. instead of jetting off abroad, the media have been using the term “staycation” and given it a wider meaning, to include taking a holiday away from home but staying within the U.K., - a “vacation” from home but not vacating the home country.

I’ve never used the term “vacation” and I don’t use the term “staycation” either - I prefer holidays! . :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Since Bruce also asked about nuances I wonder if the word (or blending that it is) also has a negative ring to it as it has over here and which is missing in the replies posted so far? Is the word neutral or positive, would you say, like the word holiday or does it also have that connotation of only being “second-best” and feeling snookered because people are prevented by circumstances from having a “real” holiday that implies leaving one’s place and, preferably, one’s country?

Would you use “holistay” then if you don’t like vacation/staycation?

1 Like

I don’t think it’s negative at all. Many people especially those with kids find it an ideal solution.
Most of us, being a small island can have days out to the seaside, country, tourist attractions, theme parks , gardens, castles etc
It saves the expense of hotels giving more spending money .
This week’s staycation, half term, for us includes, Chessington world of adventures, RHS Wisley and Southend.
Only negative is that it’s likely to rain :blush:

3 Likes

I think it came to be used more during the times in the pandemic when people were allowed to have a holiday. Folks preferred to stay in this country than to fly abroad, so the stay bit referred to staying in our own country but still going on holiday (vacation).

1 Like

Well, I don’t know if this is nuance but I used to love holidaying in caravans as a kid. eb394e73f827c1490521398b506d3653--seaside-british

These were a superb series of books, educational and fun, happy memories indeed

I have never picked up a negative tone regarding “staycation” type holidays.

Some of the reasons for people choosing to take fewer holidays abroad and start taking holidays in U.K. instead are the result of negative situations (e.g. Covid, cost of living crisis, weak sterling exchange rates, risks from terrorism, intense heat and wildfires in some traditional holiday destination countries)

However, I don’t hear people talk of the “staycations” they have been on in a negative way. Quite the opposite, in fact. I think many Brit families are enjoying re-discovering the beauty of U.K. and enjoying the fun that can be had from holidaying within the U.K.
Even though Covid travel restrictions are all lifted now, I know lots of families who plan to continue taking more short-break “staycation” type holidays several times a year instead of one longer main holiday abroad.

Most of the articles in the media about British “staycations” describe them in positive terms - with glowing descriptions of stunning coastlines, delightful countryside, family friendly, relaxing etc etc
The only downside really is the unpredictability of the British weather.

I have noticed that there’s an increasing number of country holiday chalets and “glamping sites” springing up in response to the increased demand for comfortable holiday accommodation in the countryside - and a waiting list to buy new caravans.

2 Likes