What do you miss about your old country?

For me it is the history. There’s not a lot here though they think there is.There is Aboriginal history but it isn’t so visible as things like Westminster Abbey and the wonderful old stately homes.

1 Like

Men… English or Irish guys are up for a laugh , they know how to flirt all quite innocently and walk away but at the end of the day you both go home with a smile and feel like you’ve had some fun.

Dutch guys have no idea how to do this they transition from puppy fat to beer fat and never gain a sense of humour.

Also miss ruins. the Dutch have no idea how to leave something to crumble gracefully it has to be repaired patched up renovated made to look new, spoils the whole thing.

Everything!

I haven’t gone to live anywhere else, but I miss how England used to be. I don’t recognise it anymore…:frowning:

1 Like

“The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.” L.P. Hartley

I’ve been in a lot of different of countries, some of them in quite exotic places, but my old country will always be my old country.

I belong in the past, and so now I’m foreign too Maver-rik.
I’ve have the best bits what the country has had to offer and because we only borrow it, we have to give it back to the young eventually…:cool:

when people ask me where Im from I often say its not where its when…

The England I left isnt there any more… I think thats why it didnt work when I had a trial return.

Quite true Cass, I don’t know whether I’m just an old ‘Stick in the Mud’ or the world, especially England, is spiraling out of control…I can’t say I’ll be leaving a better place as it was when I entered it…It’s certainly deteriorated on my watch…:frowning:

1 Like

God this one is a hard one - been gone now 41 yrs and back occasionally and did notice the insidious changes. I was going to say I miss the countryside as portrayed in “escape to the country” but then I ask myself would I want to live there anyway and I would get a roasting for sounding like an ozzie.

I truth as others have said I miss the past England - the rural England I came to know in my teens and beyond until I left - but when my son told me of kids bringing knives to school and using them O knew it was time to go/ Fortunately I was able.

do I miss the beer - no it’s all international now so we can get it all here. I remember when Xmas which I spent alone I ordered from our capital city a box of 20 bottles of beer from all over the world for $AU 50 and enjoyed them for sure.

For friends that I miss but I have caught up with them and we only talk about the past now or the terrible present!

MIss Ma and Pa of course they are interned there in casks - since their burial have never visited the casks in the wall - why bother - I prefer grave stones anyway.

I have sometimes imagined returning and living in the village I once lived - it would at least in the beginning be terrible and may never get better.

No once you’ve made your move that’s it - my first wife stayed homesick for a few years but eventually recovered!

Not enough people thought about the past when it was happening.

yes nice on spitty one of your better moments - but what happens when you come to the end of the road - start looking for road kill perhaps?? the buddhists talk about “living in the moment only to the full” because you can’t go back or forward - packing in lots of good in the day earns good karmic points!

Go Off road of course, gave the Cul, de Sac, a long time ago.

P.S, if you have to pack something in, you are doing it wrong. :grinning: :bike: