What did you do with your DVDs?

If your answer to the question is that you’re still using them, that’s great!

If you aren’t still using them, what did you do with them? Did they end up in the trash? Did you donate them? Are you using them as coffee coasters under your coffee mugs?

Pinterest has lists of things to do with old DVDS.

I still have my old DVDS in special boxes I bought for them. I just bought a DVD player/tablet on Black Friday 2023. I didn’t know they made them anymore. I’m doubtful I’ll use the DVD player part since all the same content is streaming and easier to find online. But that’s a good excuse not to get rid of my old DVDs.

What did you do with your old DVDs?

1 Like

I didn’t have too many. Most of them ended up in the trash but I wouldn’t want to do without a player since there are some things still offered on DVD as I just learnt the other day and because I still have the odd DVD that I use occasionally.

2 Likes

I’ve got rid of quite a few DVDS and just a couple of Blu rays, separated the wheat from the chaff. Haven’t got the heart to chuck out my old horror films though.

1 Like

I still have dozens, possibly hundreds and no intention of getting rid. The same as my CDs. Most of these are on either my ipod in the car or on the ipad.

1 Like

Yep, I think there’s something reassuring about having something physical rather than just streaming etc. I hope that makes sense, things digital are not one of my strong points.

3 Likes

most new cars seem to have done away with cd players, shame

Lets hope they never start fitting cars with DVD players. Maybe just in the back the noisy kids.

Kept most of my DVDs, only giving away a few that no longer interested me.

My car thankfully still has a CD player, my all in one PC has a DVD tray, and I have a vhs/dvd combo unit in the living room. Whenever I go away on a caravan holiday I take some discs with me as it will have a tv/dvd player, so I can watch a disc if nothing on the telly. I am gutted that I can’t find my box set of Line of Duty. Probably last seen at a caravan but I am sure I watched some of them here since on my pc while I worked. Can’t find it anywhere, and heck I’ve looked!!

I was so angry when my brother gave away most or probably all of his DvDs and CDs when he had a moment of madness to have the minimalistic effect at home. Why he never offered any to us I don’t know.

I don’t like the idea of streaming stuff at home, because of the data download on our subscriptions. I know most providers now say it is ‘unlimited’ but I wonder if one day they will reverse that and say we are downloading too much?

2 Likes

I still have all of ours, even some 3D ones from when we had a Panasonic TV capable of showing them. I expect they will sit on a shelf until someone other than me gets rid of them. I always have trouble throwing things out I’ve paid good money for.

3 Likes

My ISP already has a cap. It’s 1 terabyte though. When I called about it, the rep told me I’d have to be streaming on multiple devices 24/7. That was a few years ago. I wouldn’t be surprised if the cap is lower now. I watch my cable bill very closely every month.

Right?! This is what I say.

Have I still got my DVD’s…Hell! I’ve got loads, plus lots of CD’s, cassettes, and even vinyl records…Some of which I still listen to and watch…You just can’t beat owning your own copy…
Up your’s youtube and spottycrack… :fu:…Although I do listen to music and stuff on youtube…

2 Likes

I never buy DVDs these days as everything gets on one or more of the 1001 TV channels at some point. If any of my favourite artists brings out a new CD, I will buy it, transfer it onto my iPod for the car and the CD goes back in it’s box and stays as new.

1 Like

I gave a lot to the charity shops when they were still taking them, most don’t now

And I kept some of the real favourites, although we’ll probably never play them again. I was thinking I might frame the covers in a sort of collage

Our craft club leader paints them with black acrylic and we do scratch off art

2 Likes

I have all mine, and was given a load last Christmas. Any rubbish ones have been consigned to a local charity shop - or given away, as I simply have no room for them. I do like the physical object as opposed to digital download. I tend to transfer the DVD to a media player, which makes them easier to manage and watch, even though there is a small loss in quality as a result.

As I have a lot of music DVD’s, I have been known to convert it to mp3 music track and listen to it in my car as part of my music stash. Sometimes live band performances are better than their studio albums.

1 Like

I used blank DVS for my camera. Now I have a Toshiba Terabyte. That will last for quite a while…

2 Likes

I’ve never been one for collecting stuff like DVDs, I’d borrow other peoples, or hire one occasionally. I remember giving some to charity when having a clear-out ten years ago, They probably came from charity originally. I was always the same with vinyl, music CDs, cassettes & books. However there was a time back in the 70s I had a powerful hifi and a few dozen LPs, they were my identity, guests would sit on the floor thumbing through my collection, admiring the sleeves, and my exquisite taste.

4 Likes

I have a load of vinyl LP’s in the attic and would love to hear them again. Ideally I would want one of them record players that convert to CD or mp3 to preserve them. But once I’ve gone through them, I would have no further use for it, so it would be a waste of money to buy one.

2 Likes

Yeah, might be fun, but all that stuff can be found on YouTube.

1 Like

Still have them.

1 Like

I still have about 25 of my favorites. And, my DVD player is working just fine, thank you very much.
Also, I borrow a couple every now and then from my public library. There is absolutely nothing on TV just now until after the Superbowl. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like