What computer or device are you using?

Nice one Baz !

My MacBook Pro is a quad core 2.4Ghz model from 2015. Still runs everything and has been switched on permanently for over 2 years. I have a 2016 iMac 21" too that our lad uses for his homework, thats also brilliant. I’ll upgrade my Mac soon to a newer model most likely later in the year.

Do you still do graphic design Baz ?

2 Likes

My desktop is an Acer with an Intel Core i3 processor inside and a 23" Acer screen.

1 Like

May I ask you which one you like best ?
Is the 15” screen on the MacBook big enough?
Does the 27” screen spoil you some as far as screen size goes or this like most things, one computer works better for some things while the other for other things?
Which do you use the most?

1 Like

IPhone and iPad

1 Like

Are you thinking about getting one Bratti? If so why not get the best of both worlds… a 16" MBP and an external monitor (like the LG5K) with bluetooth keyboard and mouse (or trackpad) - you can use it as a desktop when you need to then, and as a laptop when you need to :003:

1 Like

Custom built PC with AMD Ryzen 5 running both Linux and Windows 10.

1 Like

Lenovo desktop with 24inch Hitachi screen running Windows 7

1 Like

Yes! We haven’t had a computer in years and I’d really like one for storing pictures and doing art work using them. I’d like to record some of my music. The biggest thing holding me back is my ignorance of computer technology. I’m not that technically savvy. For instance, I have no idea what a 16” MBP is. The external monitor I understand. Bluetooth keyboard I understand but the mouse or trackpad I have no clue.

I am thinking of getting a Mackbook pro from Costco. That way I can try it out for 3 months first

1 Like

The MacBook laptop gets the most use, it’s used in the lounge while I am also watching TV. That is on most of the time as ‘a noise in the room’, it’s very very quiet living here!

I would have liked a 16" MacBook Pro but just missed that as it was a new model. My old 13" MacBook Pro had to be replaced in a hurry when I couldn’t get access to it. Like most of us a lot of information was on there, not the really important information but the day to day files, e-mails etc. The smaller Mac laptops can always be linked to a larger screen, that though was not necessary with having the larger iMac.

When the iMac came out there was more than just that one size. Then before I could buy one, the smaller model I wanted was withdrawn in favour of another, which I wasn’t too keen on, so I opted for the 27" model. That now resides in what was my office / study, not as easy to use as the MacBook Pro due to where it is. It was though also better for the work I was doing at the time as a self-employed graphic designer (now retired). Work on there included magazines for which that large screen was far better than a smaller one. It meant less scrolling around when there is more than just the one page or pair of pages on the screen.

They all have their good points, fortunately there are no bad points with performance, they are all brilliant computers. I have been on Macs since the early 1980s so you could say I am biased. I did though at one time do a course on building websites, I walked into a room full of Windows machines, not one Mac! That was a steep learning curve as I had never used a Windows machine so couldn’t even boot one up!

Eventually though I did learn enough on those to be able to copy each session onto a disk (I don’t recall which program I used do that) and then did the whole thing again each evening and late the next afternoon on a Mac. That was all using HTML and XHTML coding, well before programs like Dreamweaver, which made such a lot of coding unnecessary, was brought out.

All good fun though and just something else to learn and conquer! :grinning:

2 Likes

@Bratti After reading your earlier post. You would probably find Macs are very intuitive and easy to learn, many people do find that. A lot of what is learned also remains, the way to access various options and using shortcut keys for me is still the same as it was years and years ago. My youngest granddaughter is into writing her own music and uses an iMac, the Macs were first used in American in the music industry. When Macs first came to the UK it was the creative industries, like the one I was in, who used them. Windows at the time didn’t have any of the programs for this type of work, although later they did. Programs like Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and QuarkXpress would not run on Windows machines so it was all Macs.

Nowadays you can use Windows on a Mac as well as the MacOS, it’s dual platform so can run both operating systems. I know nothing about that nor do I know anyone who does that but it’s possible.

I don’t know anything about how Costco does a three-month trial, I’ve never seen that. One thing that is noticeable is there is never any way of getting a deal on Macs, Apple seems to have fixed the profit margin the dealers get so there is not much room for a price reduction. Also, when I bought my iMac and the first MacBook Pro, I bought them from John Lewis as they gave another year on top of the Apple guarantee, completely FREE of charge. That was a genuine addition to the Apple guarantee, well worth having I reckon and from what I know of the few problems people have experienced, Apple really does excel in doing the best for the customer. One person had a hard drive give up just over a month outside the guarantee, Apple replaced the complete iMac with a brand new one without any problems at all, even paying for delivery and taking away the old machine. :grinning:

2 Likes

If you’re not planning on doing any 3D graphics work, you may find that the new MacBook Airs are more than adequate - and they are much cheaper than MacBook Pro’s too :023:

1 Like

@Baz
Thank you for taking the time to help me with my computer question.:blush: Most of my computer experiences have been on an iPhone. Right now I have an iphone12 so I am used to Apple.

GarageBand is something I’d love to explore since Apple offers that for free but my iPhone is far too small. I’ve never done any photoshop work but I’d like to plus I’d love to turn some of my photos into pen & ink drawings so I can do something artistic with them.

Costco definitely allows their members to try before they buy as well as having a money back guarantee that can’t be topped. Last year I purchased an iPad Pro and returned it because I thought it was far more than I needed and I get overwhelmed easily.

The price was really good and while Apple might not lower their prices, Costco is known for getting customized service which is what I think they did. Anyway I had no problems returning it. If I don’t go with Costco, there’s an Apple store in the city.
Thanks again.

@Azz…. Oddly enough the MacBook Air has been highly recommended for the type of projects I’d like to do. Is the MacBook Air compatible with those magic pens? I’ll have to look into this some more. I’d love to have something more substantial to work from than an iphone. It would be nice to be able to share some artwork and music with others too. Thank you :blush:

1 Like

An ancient HP laptop and a newer Lenova chromebook here.

1 Like

@Azz and @Bratti I checked this out but couldn’t find much about ‘magic pens’, the link below did provide a lot of information about which Mac Air would suit particular needs so this might be useful generally. Surprising to see that a Mac Air beat the MacBook Pro, it must be a good Mac to do that :

Edited to add: It appears that Azz beat me to it by one minute!
Too quick for me but he’s probably only just over half my age! :grinning:

2 Likes

Unfortunately not - the Apple Pencil can only be used with certain iPads. Have a look here:

1 Like

I use a Windows based computer I built through specifications,. Heavily graphics oriented,

1 Like

@Bread Apologies for the delay in replying, I was rather busy yesterday and in the evening. Again today too, this time having two new electric garage doors installed.

Information under ‘About This Mac’ shows my MacBook Pro as below:

macOS Big Sur
Version 11.4

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)
Processor – 2.3GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Memory – 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics – Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

No paid graphic design work these days as I semi-retired in 2006, suffered a heart attack in 2008 (too many ‘silly’ working hours) then fully retired in 2016. Having worked for 55 years and not needing the money I thought that was enough!

I will try and PM you with more information, not yet sure how that works but I will find out somehow! :grinning:

2 Likes

I am accessing this new site via my iPad and l don’t think my iPad is a big fan of here, as it misbehaves!

The main titles bounce about, or important text is covered and hidden.
It shows something but then snatches it away and hides it.
I know this is bizarre behaviour but it’s the only way l can describe it!

I am with Talk Talk and at the end of the exchange, so my WiFi connection can be intermittent.

Azz, l hope you don’t think l am moaning as l am very grateful for all you’ve done. I just thought, l’d mention these little blips.

1 Like

Have a look at this thread Art - it contains the optimal settings for iPads, tablets and smart phones:

https://forum.over50schat.com/t/the-forum-doesnt-look-work-correctly-on-my-ipad-or-smart-phone-how-do-i-fix-this/80305

If you are still experiencing issues, post in that thread and I’ll try to help :023:

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Help with iPad view