I am three quarters though Trunk Music
I thought the two main characters very irritating.
Jane Eyre by her sister is much better.
If Woolf’s “the waves” are a metaphoric literary representation of the sea, wuthering heights is like an endless stormy night. Probably best enjoyed as a teenager sailing through the storms of adolescence.
All Charlotte’s books are fabulous
I can understand your way of thinking…Not enough of life’s experiences to hang on every word and deed yet.
Gone back to my childhood & pony books. Reading No Mistaking Corker by Monica Edwards at present. Finished reading Wish For A Pony & Fire In The Punchbowl, Got The Summer Of The Great Secret to read too, but haven’t bought any more from Amazon, sellers want too much for them. I love Monica Edwards books & she wrote a lot too.
Swallows and Amazons? I loved those books.
This one
Interesting, a little bit of social history. I picked it up from a kind of ’ honesty’ bookcase in the waiting room at Arundel station a few weeks back, popped a bit of coinage into the well anchored money box.
Hence the handy train ticket bookmark!
That’s a lovely book cover. This is one of my favourite novels, I have a paperback copy at home which I’ve read twice. I bought it over here and it’s luckily an original English version.
I grew to really love this story while studying it at secondary school, it was amongst the list of books on our A level syllabus - English Literature.
Some good film versions available too.
Happy reading. ![]()
This one just popped through the door
Absolutely fascinating, observations on London social history. One that you can just dip into or read from cover to cover! Only £3.42 including postage secondhand from Amazon, in excellent condition!
I finished Angel Flight and have started Gone Before Goodbye by Harlan Coben and Reece Witherspoon.
Am always a bit wary of collaboration books but am enjoying this one very much, so far have read nearly half of it in one day.
I truly wish I had the luxury of reading a book at the moment. I’m unfortunately currently reading from the book of life.
Hi
That is so sad Annie.
I genuinely hope that things improve for you.
If you want, feel free to PM me.
Thank you
Just finished ‘Appeal’ by Lynda La Plante (Trial & Retribution series) very good - finished it in a few days, which is a record for me.
I like crime, but every now and again, i read something completely different. I bought a Sophie Kinsella book recently, as she seems to be very popular at the moment - it was so funny, i couldn’t stop laughing.
Back to Lynda La Plante for now - i have three waiting to be read at the moment.
I’ve not downloaded any for ages. I like audio books, I’m going through some series I’ve listened to before and loved them, at the moment it’s “The Dresdon Files”
Currently I am reading The Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly
I have just downloaded a couple of ebooks from Project Gutenburg to put on my ereader for later reading.
First was My Brilliant Career by Miles Franklin. I am currently watching the TV series on Netflix but realised I have never read the actual book.
Second was Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh which was recommended to me while I was in the UK.
Both books are long out of copyright hence are free to download
Quite by chance I stumbled upon Epictetus online, as you do!
Doesn’t seem too lofty, stoicism.
I’ve a few books to catch up on but this one is jumping the cue!
Funnily enough there is another (sort of) philosophy book called How to Live. This one, by Sarah Bakewell, is about the French man of letters, Montaigne. It is part biography and part insight into his writings. Montaigne was a bit of a dude in his day. Lived up the road from me. His old estate, for those with deep pockets, is d’Yquem - the expensive and lovely Sauternes wine.




