What are you doing for Halloween?

Have absolutely no intention of paying any attention to it all. I shall be at home hunkering down with religious symbols around me, though, just in case I’m wrong.OOOooooo.

A lot of folk think Hallowe’en comes from America but it’s of Celtic origin, I think.
We’ve been marking Hallowe’en or All Hallow’s Eve in Britain for centuries - it was Ireland who exported the tradition of carving out Jack o’Lanterns to America in the first place!
In the USA, the tradition caught on and changed into a kinder type of celebration rather than our traditional guarding against evil spirits, then they exported our own tradition back to us!

When I was a kid, I remember carving out our Jack o’Lantern from a large turnip (neep or swede or whatever folk want to call that orange root vegetable) and putting a lighted candle in it, to carry from door to door in the neighbourhood. It was hard work trying to hollow out that hard flesh and cut a face in it - I can see why Americans decided to use the more user-friendly big Orange pumpkins!

Nowadays, I don’t try to wrestle with a turnip - I usually carve out a couple of Jack o’Lanterns from large Orange pumpkins and light them up on top of the pillars of my driveway - and I buy in a couple of bags of mini-bar chocolate treats and clementines / satsumas in case any kids call at my door to show off their Hallowe’en costumes.
We don’t get many kids in this neighbourhood but I like to help keep the old traditions alive.

2 Likes

We don’t do Halloween at all. We may buy a small bag of sweets just in case some kids may trick-or-treat us - on the strict rule they are accompanied by parents, but usually end up eating them ourselves afterwards, as we don’t always have someone call.

Years ago, this used to terrify my mum, who used to lock all doors and turn off all lights, because she felt threatened by kids making demands and used to worry about what they might do.

I love that… wrestling with a turnip!
Brought back memories.

1 Like

Where we lived there were a lot of young kids. Lots of them. We gave them treats until we ran out - and that was about of a hundred of them. By about 9:00 pm we closed the front door - we had run out of treats. We moved and now I think there are fewer young children here.

I have nothing against celebrating Halloween, the horrible gratuitous pound shop type stuff is truly appalling.

1 Like

Thought of trying this out.

3 Likes

Ruined a saucepan making toffee apples with a school friend at her house. Her Mum was not pleased.

2 Likes

Ooh! I noticed all the big Orange pumpkins are in the supermarkets now.
I saw them today and my mind wandered off to that post-carving Jack O’Lantern heaven, when I use up the carved out pumpkin flesh to make pumpkin and green bean curry and pumpkin soup.
Oooh, roll on Hallowe’en!

1 Like

Ooh, that Thai curry looks so good. :yum:

1 Like

Here’s the recipe

1 Like

Same as we always do…Nothing, it’s just another day/evening for us.

1 Like

Halloween biscuit cake Biscuits, chocolate orange, white orange chocolate, orange snowballs wrapped in marzipan for pumpkins…. Trying not to eat for breakfast…… Happy Halloween!

2 Likes

Halloween over the old pier, Weston-super-mare

Superb Maree!
Do you have to eat it all by midnight?

1 Like

Yes! Of course I’d share if you all lived closer …….(not!)

1 Like

I think that…ahem…the postal strikes have been postponed for a couple of weeks, I’ve no idea why I mentioned that, no connection of course :wink:

1 Like

A few years ago I dressed up as an old witch, put candles in the kitchen window and sat In the hall waiting to scare the kids . After a couple of hours , no one knocked or walked past I went to bed deflated

2 Likes

Aw, what a shame, perhaps there aren’t many children in your road or there’s a big public event nearby?

The convention around here is that if you put a pumpkin in your window, you’re fair game for trick or treaters

One year I made some of those stick symbols from the Blair Witch project and hung them outside the door

We heard one lad say “don’t go in there, that’s witches that is” :jack_o_lantern:

I just asked Alexa how shes feeling today , she said Spooky, then asked me to ask her to do a Dracula impression . It sounded :skull: :ghost: :vampire:ok …