What are these things?

We went for a walk in the park yesterday and saw two chopped down tree trunks. Each had a collection of these stud things. I wonder whether anyone might know what they were put there for.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOHUR_-w-M2BXDH14eG88qQHm4XTqHS88ut6fXF

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNYxfEOyn5cxZXT-c4YtK8ypSFHM_WDbYMAJjIT

Can’t view the photos, the links just take me to google :slightly_smiling_face:

Got a 404 on both of those :frowning_face:

And the answer is …

"Google

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know."

1 Like

Sorry. These photographs are on my computer and phone in Google Photos. The forum said that I could just drag them and drop, which is what I did.
If anyone can explain to me how I can upload them on to here I should be very grateful.

I just click on the ‘image’ icon in the reply/post box - which takes me to my photos on the PC - double click on the one I want - and it inserts it.

Drag and drop doesn’t work for me either.

1 Like

Thanks ST. I think this seems to have worked.

I’m sure I must have posted pictures before but can’t remember what I did!

1 Like

Those studs remind me of surveyor’s datum points of some 55+yrs ago. I can remember driving some into tarmac while at uni.

2 Likes

Are they to try and kill the stump off maybe :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I agree with Chillie. Studs to kill the tree.
I believe they used to use copper nails?

2 Likes

Ah, thanks both.
Yes, it’s quite logical that they want to prevent further growth and, yes, they do look like copper nails.

1 Like

Makes note in diary ‘some one agrees with me’ :grinning:

6 Likes

Don’t let it go to your head coz it wont last :wink::point_right::grin:

1 Like

Copper nails as Mups suggested. They might also be there to stop people from sitting on the stumps.

Actually, I find the suggestion that they are to prevent further growth convincing. Less so the idea that they are to prevent people from sitting on the trunk bases as they are pretty flush with the surface.

1 Like

Sometimes they use some kind of toxic chemical to eat into the stump and destroy it underground. Wouldn’t want yer average John or June to sit on it and burn their bums JB…
:hot_face:

1 Like