What appliance would you have the hardest time doing without?

I bought my mother a Goblin Teasmade in the 70’s.She had it for over 20 years :grinning:

2 Likes

When does she go to the palace to get her medal? :grinning:

1 Like

My dishwasher. His name is John.

2 Likes

Happy Anniversary Realspeed and Mrs Realspeed from Mrs Fox and me…Missed you…
:mini: :mini: :mini: :mini: :mini: :mini:

1 Like

Some Americans would be aghast that you wash your plates in the John! I think definitely the washing machine as all those suds would play havoc with my hands. I haven’t seen a launderette around for ages although we used them in the seventies.

1 Like

Ha ha greengage! My John is my lovely husband, who is in the kitchen at the moment washing the dishes in the sink. Now, if only I could train him to do the cooking too…
I’d forgotten that Americans call the loo the John, otherwise I would have phrased my post a little more carefully!!

3 Likes

I haven’t seen Rice Cookers mentioned yet they are one of my favourite appliances. So useful for so many jobs, I have even thrown in a wet paper towel and cooked a boiled egg in one.

Living alone I only have small ones.

The one on the left is a Kambrook Mini Meal Maker which I carry in my camper and gets used for any liquid heating from making instant noodles, boiling potatoes or just cooking rice. It is so handy.

On the right is the one I used to use all the time but which has been replaced by the el cheapo one in the middle, the latter is smaller but just big enough to defrost one of my frozen meal while cooking rice. It doesn’t have a “warm” facility, once the water has gone it turns off. I paid $3 for it brand new in an Op shop.

My rice cookers are not used as much as my microwave but probably a close third after my kettle.

2 Likes

Thanky you OGF, its been a long time since I was banned

1 Like

Sorry! I realised almost immediately after I replied what you meant. I do a fair amount of preparation and cooking but washing the dishes by hand is a bit of a chore. I wonder where most of us would be without a fridge. I suppose the cool pantry with a slab was the best available.

3 Likes

Greengage, it reminds me of a true story I heard once. Husband was left in charge of very young daughter while his wife went shopping. They were playing tea party with a set of toy cups and saucers. The child kept bringing daddy a cup of water pretending it was tea. Daddy drank them. When his wife came home she said ‘you do realise that the only water she can reach is in the toilet?’

5 Likes

Imagine having to wash the laundry by hand …awful :disappointed:.
I’d have to live on sandwiches if I didn’t have a dishwasher.

Washing Machine
Dishwasher
Both must haves

2 Likes

I have a dishwasher.
It’s called me !

3 Likes

I use one knife, one fork, one spoon, one teaspoon, one plate, one bowl and one mug. Washing up isn’t too arduous and then I can use the same utensils again.

A dish washer would be overkill even considering the odd air fryer bowl, sauce pan or frying pan.

3 Likes

Hi Bruce i make most of my meals from scratch.
Lots of prep lots of utensils etc …
Blender ,pots and pans.
Also fridge containers , MV saucepans, air fryer liners, the MV glass turntable .
I rinse the dog bowls and put them in there too .
Extra cups and plates for family and friends
My list is endless.

1 Like

Have you considered…

Washing up = one knife, one fork (and maybe a spoon from the yoghurt for dessert)

Yes I like yogurt .

1 Like

Microwave, cooker, freezer, washing machine and kettle.
I do the washing up, no room for a dishwasher but I’ve heard that it’s more economical.
I only do basic meals but from scratch, can’t be bothered wasting so much time in the kitchen over a meal.

1 Like

Yep I agree… :+1:

1 Like

I say microwave too because it’s the quickest way to warm up food. I am always in a hurry. LOL.

2 Likes

Washing machine of course…

1 Like