What a rip off!

I doubt they are ripping anyone off. Just trying to stay afloat with very high input prices.

1 Like

I agree with this, but its a fine balance between trying to stay afloat, and pricing yourself out of the market. I dread to think what might happen to these businesses a few months down the line, or into the new year :frowning_face:

I think it is more a case of maintaining and increasing shareholder dividends with the large companies.

Whatever the reasons behind it - they have just lost three customers

Ā£25 for three ordinary cups of coffee and tiny pieces of cake? No way!

I love a walk around a garden centre/centers,but i always take a drink and a small sandwich/bit pf pork pie and a little cake for Dh,costs less than Ā£2 for both of us.
Totally refuse to pay silly money for something that takes less than 5 minutes to conjure up.
OR maybe i`m a tight arse.

1 Like

I used to adore pork pieā€¦I still do, to be honest but rarely have it.

Yes taking your own food and drink is going to be a habit for most people now I think - until the places start refusing entry because of it. I went to the races a few years ago and took food etc (because I wasnā€™t sure if they had stalls). My bag was searched and everything was confiscated! I refused to buy stuff on site due to the expense, even then.

1 Like

A neighbour of mine went to an open air concert a couple of weeks ago and was charged Ā£6 for a can of coke! Youā€™re not allowed to take drinks in.

1 Like

Hi

I am very fortunate in where I live, loads of small family garden centres, honesty boxes on the side of the road and amazing bargains at the Sunday Markets and WI Stalls.

The WI Ladies in particular are very good, telling you how to look after the plants

The 3 garden centres I use the most are very cheap, family ones, they apologise because coffee has gone up to Ā£1.20 a cup and scones are now 60p.

Grandparents, parents and now the littlies, all great fun.

1 Like

Iā€™m not so sure.

I remember rampant inflation in the 70s, anyone (including me) running a small business, never had it so good.

Itā€™s the same now: odd job workmen, cafes/eateries, small businesses that donā€™t have to justify themselves to anyone, are ramping up prices. OK they suffered during the covid, but making up for it now. Inflation is out of control due to these people.

1 Like

yes if they are that large then they will have to satisfy shareholders in order to survive. Itā€™s interesting to see our view vs the reality of the market forces. At the end of the day if these companies fold we have reduced choice which is not in our interest.

Do you not think that if these companies fold then it could be because of the shareholders and their never ending demand for more and more - whose expense it is at doesnā€™t seem to matter. With things like fuel people are forced to pay up and to me it seems immoral in times like this to keep on taking these extortionate profits at the expense of a captive customer. IMO there should be a limit as to what they can be paid. These are not normal times .

Why do the big supermarkets not reduce their prices to the customer now they are paying reduced prices for fuel. Can only be profiteering and greed IMO.

1 Like

The market is not altruistic. If demand drops so does consumer choice. Itā€™s all immoral because capitalism doesnā€™t have a heart or soul. But it does feed our needs. The alternative is not appealing but is more eco-friendly. I feel that we are on a ledge with quite a drop beneath us into what could be a severe shock. So our current complaints are nothing compared with what could be to come.

My own theory is that there were certain powerful individuals worldwide keeping it all together for the last few decades and they have died and not been replaced. So IMO anything could happen. So whatever handshakes and negotiations used to take place behind the scenes are no longer happening.

Iā€™m astonished that supermarkets are keeping prices as they are. So many products are stable. Itā€™s the manufactured marketed goods through 3rd party that are rising in price. The supermarkets donā€™t control that. Itā€™s v important to us that supermarkets do make a profit otherwise why would they bother? Who would want to be in such a complex business with no reward?

1 Like

Iā€™m keeping an eye on it, Zuleiker.
At the moment the unit rate and the standing charges have remained the same.

Talking of Mupsā€™s DD, I received an email from Scottish Power about my own DD. Iā€™m paying Ā£135 a month, and use about Ā£1.50 a day. They say they are reviewing it with a view to increasing the DD because I am using more energy than it covers. I take it they havenā€™t noticed my credit balance then? Idiots! :rage:

1 Like

I will not do DDs - no-one has their hands in my account other than myself!

2 Likes

Ack, I wish that were the case Tabby. It costs more not to pay by DD up here Iā€™m afraid. Although if they DARE increase mine, I shall be having angry words with them. I take photos of my meter readings, and screenshot the information on their app, so they have NO reason to raise it. I signed up to Donā€™t Pay UK this morning :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Likewise ST no one will have access to my account except me

1 Like

Cheeky gits,thats tantamount to theft in my eyes PixieK.
We tend to eat our food either before we go in or after.
Legally,i think signs should be clearly visible if food isn`t allowed.

1 Like