West Side Story

Will you go and see the new one in the cinema, or wait until you can watch it at home, or just avoid it like the plague?

I loved the original, looking forward to this :+1:

1 Like

I went yesterday morning. My sister booked it for me, Mum, herself and her daughter my lovely niece. She did a morning booking because she knew the cinema would not be very busy then, in fact there were only 3 other people there.

I loved the original, and didn’t think it could be bettered but I think this did it. It is much more violent, but that adds to the realism.

The actress that plays Maria has the most beautiful voice, the guy that plays Tony acts the part with great sensitivity, and Rita Moreno who was Anita in the original is brilliant.

We were all, except niece, a bit weepy, but really enjoyed it. Especially Mum.

1 Like

I agree with you Maree.
I loved the original, but all the reviews about this new one are so positive I’m aiming to see it.
Edit: thanks for the review Maverick, sounds great!
And certainly a daytime showing is sensible

1 Like

Oh I so loved the original, I just can’t imagine it being improved on, but of course I’m open to persuasion. I don’t think I’ll be seeing this anytime soon, though, if it’s only in cinemas, as I really don’t want to take the risk with Covid on the increase right now. Let’s hope it has a long run and I can see it when things improve, otherwise it’ll have to be when it comes to the small screen, and that’s never as good :disappointed:

1 Like

I don’t think the motive for making this version was to IMPROVE on it, just a different viewpoint?

I always fins that a later version is usually a disappointment, so I’ll stick to my memories of the original; although I did like Robin Hood Prince of Thieves …especially Alan Rickman’s Sheriff of Nottingham :+1:

1 Like

It’s very close to the film, and I think they have used a lot of the original choreography, but it is grittier, the police bias against the Puerto Ricans is given more emphasis and also some insight into the pathetic background of some of the jets.

I think it’s a bit like seeing a film after reading the book, if you go in expecting it to be exactly the same, you’re doomed to be disappointed.

It’s best to treat it as completely new. It’s a great story….Romeo and Juliet……and I love the dancing, their voices are lovely, I know I’m going to thoroughly enjoy it

1 Like

quick bit of info…
Robin Hood was a Yorkshire Man not from Nottingham what so ever…and he did not give to the poor either…pretend I am not here,shush shush…
Sure the new Version will be entertaining but the original one is always going to be the one to remember with love

Film musicals are usually a disappointment compared to a stage show. The film version of West Side Story wasn’t bad especially compared to things like Les Mis. I look forward to seeing the new version of WSS but I am not excited.

1 Like

I didn’t know that so, I googled it. Wiki says, “A tradition dating back at least to the end of the 16th century gives Robin Hood’s birthplace as Loxley, Sheffield, in South Yorkshire.”

That’s why he was know as Robin, Earl of Loxley.
Two young men struck gold when they discovered a pardon in the Public Record Office granted to Robin Hood by King Richard II, and not King John or Richard I, as everyone first thought. Robin’s short pardon reads, “Robert Dore of Wadsley, known as Robert Hode (Hood) granted the King’s pardon May 22nd, 1382” (Richard II Roll of the King’s Pardons, pp. 4-5). Loxley was a sub-vill of Wadsley but is now part of Sheffield.

1 Like