Were you a product of the Baby Boomer Generation?

The years after the Second World War, 1946 - 1964 have been attributed the Boomer years.
The Boomer years followed the Silent Generation, mid 20’s to mid 40’s.
So called because of their tendency towards conformism and restraint in their outlook and behaviour.
Why so many babies born after WW2?
Many reasons have been put forward. After the depression of the 20’s, when many couples put off having children, the return of millions of Soldiers after the war and a strong economy.
Governments kick started the boom by offering low, or no interest home loans for Veterans. Removing a huge impediment towards having a family.
So life became simpler, there were plenty of jobs and what happens when the population is almost stress free? They have Babies
My Parents had 7 babies during the years 1956 - 1964. 2 of those babies died before 6 months.
My Father never went to war, for what reason I know not, and was a well paid Tradesman.

1 Like

Probably because he had a reserved occupation

2 Likes

Mine did, maybe responsible for the ensuing complications.

Or maybe not.

1 Like

My dad served he was very young just a boy as many were that were called up .

1 Like

My Old Man volunteered proof of craziness.

1 Like

My father wasn’t allowed to either because he was working on his father’s farm.His older brother did though.Something which my father felt guilty about.He was in the Home Guard and producing food crops to help the country but he always thought he hadn’t done enough.

1 Like

I’d never asked my parents but with hindsight it seems obvious that my twin brother and I were the result of an accident rather than a product of the baby boom. What makes us think so is the fact that our mother was 39 and our father 52 when we were born and that we were born ten years after our brother’s birth. At that time such a late pregnancy was thought to be a risk which also makes it quite unlikely that we were the result of a conscious decision.

1 Like

I thought it was bleeding obvious - the men returned home from years of war and deprivation in need of a shag.

It has always surprised me that they count baby boomers until 1964 I would have thought 1950 was the cut off. Even schools called those born in those years the “Bulge” years as we went through the school system.

3 Likes

Improved healthcare and hygiene also helped. It continued until the mid 60s because that period overlapped with the introduction of the pill in 61 (for married women only until 1967). Followed by the Abortion Act in 1967. That changed everything.

1 Like

Missed WW2 as I was only 13 when it ended. My military service was 1953 - 57. Our kids must be Boomers, and the age of many of you folks. They were born in 1957, 58, 61, and 62.

2 Likes

@Bretrick I was born before the Baby Boomers with a paratrooper father who was in L Detachment of Special Air Service Brigade later to become and known as the SAS. I was conceived during an intermission home run and born April '43. I never really knew him as he died days after my 5th birthday.

2 Likes

Both my brother and I were born at the start of the war, him 1939 and me in 1940.
I remember my mother carrying me wrapped in a blanket down the garden to the Anderson shelter with the drone of planes and searchlights overhead.

4 Likes

I was born in 1942. Presumable after my Dad’s leave the year before. He was posted to a ship going to Russia in the convoys & he survived the war. My late Brother was born 8 years after me so that would make him a Baby Boomer. No idea why so long between us.

2 Likes

I was born in 1950 two years after my sister died just a few months old. I suppose they thought they’d try again. Glad they did…
:nerd_face:
Dad worked down the pit and was in the home guard.
I would have thought that the main reason for baby boomers was the fact that so many young men had been lost during two world wars and we were encouraged to have kids. Even to the point of being paid to have them. Wasn’t the shortage of men the reason why so many black guys were paid to come over here from the Caribbean and drive the busses in London?

I was born in 1937. We stayed in a small croft in what used to be Banffshire now Aberdeenshire. My father was a blacksmith and he shod all the farm horses and repaired the farm implements.

1 Like

Not a boomer for me - just 1946 …

1 Like

I am a baby boomer .
Born in the luckiest time ever .
That time is past now .
Our children and grandchildren will never have that time .
It will be historically a time of peace and prosperity that will not come again

1 Like

Why so lucky in your case?

1 Like

I was born in a time of peace .
Some years after the terrors of war
My father came home safely .
Jobs were plentiful
I was able to have a good education and there were grants to enable all to do further study .
There was still an innocence of childhood ( or at least mine)
We did things outside things in the holidays , interesting things .
We weren’t chained to our devices .
I was born in a time of change I always remember dropping a polo mint into the nose bag of the milkmans horse , taking a carrot to that of the rag and bone man .
Little things children today will never see or do .

1 Like

Very much the time of rationing for most people. We were luckier than most as farmers.

1 Like