Were There Any Films Made About The The Falklands War?

Some on here might know that my favourite aircraft is the Vulcan Bomber. It is just so magnificent and your jaw drops in amazement when you see it.
Unfortunately, we will never see it fly again.

As the Vulcan Bomber played a huge part in helping us win the war in the Falklands. I wondered if any films were made about the Falklands War, other than documentaries?

Thank You if you can help me…

2 Likes
2 Likes

Thank You Mr Fraggle, l will have a look.
Are there any that you might particularly recommend?

1 Like

To be honest @Artangel I cannot, I am sure I have seen one or two but which I have no idea. :laughing:

2 Likes

Here is a link to Operation Black Buck.
The Falklands War 1982 - The Build-up to Operation Black Buck - Vulcan to the Sky

1 Like

Thank You, LD. I will have a look at that too.

@Artangel

Hello

I imagine there will be something on the tv at some point as its 40 years this year. There definitely a short documentary 4 or 6 part TV series shown in 1992 after 10 years. it was called “The Falklands War”

So imagine it may be reshown this year. My best friends older brother was in the Falklands I went down to see the fleet off and when they came home I went along with thousands of other to see the Canberra (he was on that one) and also to see HMS Hermes return a memories I will never forget.

1 Like

delete

Like you, the Vulcan bomber is probably my favourite warplane. There’s one parked in what once was Woodford Aerodrome, just a few miles from where we live. A very interesting museum that I have visited. A very impressive beast from the days when we led the world in aircraft design.

These are the films/documentaries that I’m aware of:

Falklands’ Most Daring Raid (TV Movie 2012) - IMDb

Operations Black Buck Falklands’ Most Daring Raid - YouTube

Tumbledown (1988) - YouTube

Not forgetting that magnificent engine, RR’s Olympus with afterburner :ok_hand::+1::clap::clap:
Rolls-Royce Olympus - Wikipedia

1 Like

I watched a program dealing with the Vulcan bomber trip to the Falklands. Talk about teetering on the edge of disaster but it worked.

What I find fascinating is that the Vulcan while interesting (one of my first Airfix models) has come and gone as an operational plane yet the even older Boeing B-52 Stratofortress is still in regular use and is expected to be in service until the 2050s when it will be 100 years old.

Now that is an amazing plane, it must be a truly brilliant design to have lasted so long even with all its upgrades.

Then there is the U2…

1 Like

The Vulcan was a fast bomber with a thirst that could not be sustained for very long operations, where the slower B-52 had a higher ceiling and for less fuel for a given payload.

There is an excellent book The Silent Listener: British Electronic Surveillance: Falklands 1982, by D J Thorp. It covers more than just the Falklands, but that is its main focus. The role of electronic (radio interception, jamming etc) in the Falklands.

1 Like

Funny you should mention speed. I was reading only very recently that speed in war planes is obsolete as missiles have rendered it of no advantage. War planes are getting slower as less speed mean more maneuverability which is a major advantage

Apparently this trend started in the Vietnam war where it was discovered fighter pilots used their maximum speed exactly 0.0% of the time because it reduced their range and maneuverability. Since then speed is no longer seen as the advantage it was in WWII.

When I say recently I mean since the Ukraine war started.

2 Likes