Were the 70's better than today?

HaI thought that photo was ticks

1 Like

I do so remember people queuing all the way down the street to get a loaf of bread from an independent bakers when all the main breadmakers were on strike. I was one of those people. I was in the queue for over an hour & then they only let me have one small loaf.

The small independent bakers were working day & night to keep up the demand. They must have made a fortune.

In the 70’s everybody went on strike, If they wanted a longer tea break they went on strike!!

It was totally ridiculous!!

Then along came Margaret Thatcher…

2 Likes

After @RightNow telling us about being a colour guard mum I had to look it up and came across this

Has anybody else seen/heard this type of thing, perhaps it is a very American thing?

Having said that I thought Marching Bands were an American thing but this Japanese band popped up in my Youtube feed a while back. Apparently brass and woodwind instruments are considered a very suitable pastime for Japanese young ladies.

Both look a very Athletic pastimes but I have no idea what is good or bad in these hobbies.

BTW My daughter took up snooker as her school sport when she was 17 because it took place at the local club in the days when no-one at the bar checked that you were over 18 once you were inside the club. I was not pleased.

2 Likes

Did I notice a couple of lads in that first clip Bruce?
I only noticed because I was looking at the legs and noticed two were wearing bottoms…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Everything I know about Colour Guards is in that clip, there may well be blokes doing it, I don’t know, I had never even heard of it until @RightNow mentioned it. There are one or two blokes the Jap high school marching band in some of their performances too.

3 Likes

@OldGreyFox , at times there were males in the group, but at most schools the boys were more into football, basketball, wrestling, or baseball.

2 Likes

Ladyboys? Surely not :wink:

2 Likes

I wasn’t knocking them RightNow, in fact I think they were very brave to do something that they enjoyed. I only noticed them because I’m a bit of a leg admirer… :nerd_face:

1 Like

And that was my first clue! :grin: We also have Drum Majors leading the school bands, and they happen to be almost always young men, noting that, also. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Behave yourself! They’re school kids.

I know Bruce, I used to be one…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Purely IMO the 60’s were the absolute best … excellent beer and don’t start me off about the wenching. Oh, those adventurous girls who threw caution to the wind …now THOSE were the days my friends. . RAVE ON!!

3 Likes

I think the pill had a lot to do with it.Girls no longer had to rely upon their boyfriends to do the right thing. :grinning:

3 Likes

The best Buddy Holly song ever.

Alas, countered by the invention of tights.

1 Like

I honestly never could understand how the ladies described tights as comfortable :man_shrugging: All that moist atmosphere locked-in and ready to accelerate all sorts of infections. A well aired underside must be much healthier than one subjected to a closed well dampened environment :+1:

3 Likes

I used to wear hold up stockings

2 Likes

Haha , same here EZ….little monkeys i had , then adopted two more step sons …. :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

I still do occasionally…
:nerd_face:

1 Like

Yes the seventies were fab, I’d go back there if I could.At uni with a grant and no fees, great music, fashions, cheap holidays abroad, cheap flats where did it all go wrong.
I’ll give you a clue. 1979.

4 Likes

It reminds me of the European majorettes.

1 Like