Were the 70's better than today?

My memories of the 70’s are the advent of Disco Music, Hot Wheels Die Cast Cars, Platform Shoes, Body Shirts, Mini Skirts, Shag Pile Carpet.
It was a time when other parents could discipline you. If underage in the pub the cops would kick you out with a boot up the backside. Getting the Cane for not doing homework.

5 Likes

I don’t know about Oz but mini skirts were definitely a 60’s thing.70’s fashion was quite naff I think.

2 Likes

I ruled the 70’s on my block. It went downhill mostly after 79.

3 Likes

The 70’s were okay, quite good fun … no seatbelts in cars, no smart phones, no need to show ID at every turn.
Everyone had a feather hair cut then a Purdy cut and then came the ‘perm’.
The time when guys still tried to impress girls by what car they drove.
The world just seemed a more relaxed place then.
A sire sign I’m getting old … I’m not sure I’d like to be a kid nowadays there seems so little magic in life.

6 Likes

I don’t think the 60s ended until about 1973 when the Beatles broke up and the music got a bit tired. The 60s were better than the 70s but the 70s came up with punk and a few really good films but fashion was crap, Disco was awful.

But today has a lot going for it but can it last?

1 Like

I have a soft spot for the 70’s… cheesy mainstream pop, glam and punk too of course. I’m probably going to get myself in hot water here but the girls looked more attractive and feminine… not so much ambling around in tracksuits in those days… I’ll get my coat! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

I loved going to the disco and losing myself in the moment, flares and platform shoes were essential. :dancer: :man_dancing:

Seventies Britain was full of industrial strife,power cuts,General Elections seemed to come at frequent intervals,and the IRA were blowing places up.
But there was great music,Radio Caroline,Radio North Sea International, flowery shirts,flared trousers,platform shoes…
I turned 13 in 1970…and I didn’t have dodgy knees.
And ended the decade at University where there was some occasional studying and not so occasional time in the pubs of Cardiff.
I still occasionally visit the pubs of Cardiff…hell,I spend many days in Cardiff!
Were the seventies better?
It’s all relative….but I’m seeing two seventies pop icons in the Autumn.
Never did that when I was young!

2 Likes

Are there any 70’s pubs still left in Cardiff? :grinning:One of my favorites is in a museum now!!!

One or two ….
But the dive I frequented off Queen Street that I can’t remember the name of is long gone.
It was a dingy one room bar.

Was it in Park Lane? I used to slum it in one there.The Park Bar ???

Might be…

1 Like

was the 70’s a long time ago

3 Likes

Start of the 70s was over 50 years ago. :grinning:

1 Like

I agree with furryanimal, the 70s were grim. Deprivation was rife where I grew up, I was only young (born in 67) but my memories from the 70s were of hardship and lack of money for the vast majority of the community.

3 Likes

The 70s were the decade of my twenties, first decade of becoming an adult with adult responsibilities.

Married, two little ones to care for, being a good wife to hubby, buying a new home and furnishing it. Seeing the children start school, little league mom, Cub Scout mom, Colorguard mom, whew!

I was the most responsible in the 70s. But when the 90s came, I loosened up, found out what having fun was, and continued ever after…End of story. :smiley:

5 Likes

I was just starting primary school in the 70ies and have lovely memories about growing up in the seventies.

It was pretty much peace and love where I lived, parents and teachers were cool, patient and nurturing.
We had all kind of fashion trends growing up, rural, baba cool, mini skirts , then Maxi ones, trumpet trousers and American jeans… Lol a lot of fun, shepherd vests…

Music was awesome. Oh Happy Days.

2 Likes

We had great fashion in the 70s UK
Suede mini skirts and Leather hot pants
Platform boots
Cheese cloth blouses
Mohair dress s , suits,
Plus lots more …

4 Likes

Good for you RN
I was the same …74 married , 2 sons by the 80s
Bringing me up to 25yrs old ……