Weird censorship from years past

Some retailers refused to stock The Mamas and Papas album “If You Can Believe Your Eyes And Ears” because photo on the front cover showed the group laying together in a bath tub with a toilet in the corner.
The picture was quickly altered to include a printed banner covering the toilet which says “Includes California Dreaming”.
Showing or talking about toilets was taboo

1 Like

Yes, the broken ellipse design of the Toilet seat, very 60s. :grin:

1 Like

The toilet in the bathroom,another universal fad I don’t agree with.

2 Likes

Those folks look “Close Coupled”

1 Like

Mama’s and the Poopas :icon_wink:

1 Like

Same here, though there should be a sink in there but rarely is.

1 Like

I have to say it’s not the most appealing of picture covers… Cheers Bretrick! :wink::toilet::bathtub:

1 Like

It was a terrible album cover!

1 Like

Looks like a bidet to me.

Blimey that really is weird never heard of that before a picture of a loo being offensive?

How times have changed.

1 Like

More toilet censorship in '68 … Beggars Banquet

1 Like

This got to number 2 back in 1977. I remember the single was easily available from some retailers. I think HMV blanked out the number 2 slot on their singles chart display board which probably only succeed in selling more records.

df_0079

Wether that was weird or not is a matter of opinion I suppose.

2 Likes

I do remember reading about this years ago.
Something about being disrespectful of Queen Elizabeth?

To suggest that some people found it disrespectful would be an understatement. I can’t remember which member of the band it was but one of The Sex Pistols was slashed with a blade on the street.

Seriously controversial back then, as for the Bill Grundy interview on The Today programme, my dad went absolutely ballistic !

1 Like

I remember watching that. Grundy was a fool, all his own doing. And it cost him his job.

1 Like

Yep, he goaded didn’t he? I gather that he was a staunch classical music devotee, not a professional interview perhaps but certainly one that sticks in the memory.

I’ll have to check it out on YouTube later

1 Like