Wedding Gifts George the VI Post Box

Our eldest son’s best friend is getting married, and she would like money or gift cards as wedding presents to help with setting up her first home.

Our son asked if we would loan our replica post box so it could sit on a table at the reception and guests could post their gifts in it.
We said no. It cost a small fortune and it is well and truly planted in our garden to the extent that removing it would cause damage.

My Lovely Cousin suggested we loan the copy I made, but it is bolted to a wall and the face plate is well and truly glued over the bold-heads to prevent theft.

In the end I offered to make another one.

This is the one we bought that is now a feature in our garden. Sadly the door and the cipher (crown) are incorrect.

When I copied it, I put clay around the words then cast latex moulds.

This was the copy I made from the one we bought with a better, but still incorrect cipher.

I then used the moulds I had made previously …

… and cast glass fibre resin …

to produce these.

I still had the pattern from the previous copy,

to make a new front out of MDF, correcting the error with the incorrect door from the replica we bought in the process. (The door is actually a dummy and doesn’t open).

I then attached the castings with more glass fibre resin.

Since it is going to be sat on a table, it needed a collecting box,

and a door to retrieve the wedding gifts,

… as well as a dummy handle for the dummy front door.

Undercoat.

Top coat.

Concentrating. I’m surprised my tongue isn’t poking out. :blush: Gold (as opposed to white) lettering indicates the box is not in use by Royal Mail.

Finished!

Despite the fact that the G VI R slipped off centre whilst the resin was setting, and the cipher isn’t as detailed as I would like, I am slightly chuffed by the end result.

5 Likes

I like it . Very nice

1 Like

Brilliant,That will look good on the Table.

1 Like

Amazing! You are a very talented man!

2 Likes

Terrific… I’m particularly intrigued by the casting and the resin.

1 Like

I used liquid latex to make the moulds. It’s meant to be “painted” on an object in multiple layers, but I made a bund from modelling clay around the part I wanted to copy then poured the latex in and left it. It took about a fortnight to set but I ended up with nice, thick, durable, and reusable moulds.

The glass fibre resin is the same two part stuff that is sold in car accessory or pond equipment shops.

Top job :grin:

1 Like

Thanks Fruitcake,
I’ve just had a look on Amazon and the liquid latex is readily available. It just reminds me of candle making which I’m sure you remember was popular during the early/mid 70s.

1 Like

Spectacular…what a gift!

2 Likes

What a wonderful talent you have Fruitcake.

1 Like

Superb Fruitcake, it will look a treat on the table! :clap:

2 Likes