Ways of saving

With the high rise in fuel costs are you making conscious efforts to save on electric and gas?

Me and John were looking at ways to cut back last night and talked about how we have been wasting electricity.

What are you doing to try save on your bills?

I would like to give up cooking altogether .
Eating would be another option stop for a couple of months .
However these may not be very popular .

1 Like

We are having more salads instead of putting the cooker on.
Wash your clothes by hand and hang them on the washing line.
Make sure you turn all lights off when leaving a room.

1 Like

I’m reducing cooking, laundry, no heating on, using kettles for washing up, a couple of showers a week, no lights being switched on, not charging stuff. as often…

From a professional electrical engineering perspective we took energy saving very seriously. Energy efficiency could mean 95% or 95.5% wining or losing a large project. A lot of money. I suppose have reflected that in my way of life at home too. We keep the heating low. If you need a jumper use that. Don’t heat rooms you are not using. We use LED lighting. Now my wife is using an Instant Pot. So far she hasn’t needed the hob, the cooker, of the pressure cooker.

I’m going to start swimming again and use the gym showers . I pay a monthly gym fee so why not get my moneys worth and save on mybown water and energy

1 Like

Admirable! How far do you have to travel?

My lounge is open with stairs up to a very high landing so I’ve bought 4 voiles and hung them to help stop the heat rising from the lounge, I realise it will still seep through but it may help, I don’t want 4 heavy curtains hanging there as the room isn’t that big

I do cook every lunch time but I use the small top oven and try to put everything in like the meat potatoes and veg to roast

Now why did that remind me of the WW2 years, at the other end of my life?

What comes around, goes around, and around, and around!

Save on electric bills I’ve bought a air fryer .
Also I’ve brushed cotton bed sheets for the winter and electric throw cost 1p an hour .
Unplug standby lights
I already wash clothes on a quick 30° delicate wash.
Dishwasher on a short 40min cycle.
I’ve smart heating and lighting.
Don’t know what else I can do.

Keep your Freezer full.

I put in all the meat, bread & anything that will go in there.

Nothing gets older, or more expensive, whilst in the Freezer!

I wash a lot by hand but then feel guilty that I’m wasting water by rinsing Only just had a water meter fitted …That’s saved me £26 a month so will go towards my energy bills .
I only use the actual oven once a week to cook a chicken.

To be honest I am not doing anything except getting my water heater replaced under warranty. My electricity bill was about $200 a quarter so even if it doubles it is not unaffordable.

My supermarket spending is far more noticeable, I rarely spent more than $30 in a supermarket visit but now it is rarely less than that.

We have purchased a 5 in 1 oven,it has an oven/grill/air fryer/fan oven and a dehydrater.
But its so much cheaper to run i guess it would be about 50% cheaper.
And cleaning it could`nt be easier.

With 7 in my house, two of them 4yo girls, hand washing is out of the equation, but I have found that the 30C setting does wash as clean looking/smelling as the 40C setting even though the machine finishes roughly an hour quicker, so a good saving there :+1:

1 Like

The new Russell Hobbs mini combo oven was delivered yesterday from Amazon, looks dead useful. I’ll just be using the fan oven when necessary, baking batches of rolls or muffins for example.

1 Like

That is one very useful kitchen appliance. I have a similar one here and it’s ideal for when the much larger fan oven is not required :+1:

1 Like

I have never used hot water for laundry, in fact the hot water hose is not even connected.

Both of my w’machines are cold fill only with just the single hose. The internal immersion heaters bring the mains water up to the selected temperature if the internal sensors detect heat input is needed.

We don’t/won’t have any plans to use less gas/elect as we have never been wasteful in that dept.

If big bills mean we go out for lunch once a week instead of twice, then so be it.