Water water not every where

I just heard the Canal & River Trust are closing more of the Canal waterways from 1st August due to low water levels - they’d already closed some sections in June and some more in mid July.

I noticed some of the feed reservoirs in Yorkshire were empty.

Unless we have rain for “40 days and 40 nights” - enough to float the Ark, it looks like our planned trip on the narrowboat won’t be happening in August, if we can’t get through the locks.

It’s raining today thank goodness we so need the water .

The aquifers are not of much concern now and in the foreseeable future, but flooding from runoff is. The nearest identified areas to me are Rustington and Littlehampton, so in my own way I’m pleased my area is not at risk for the present, but it could happen if councils allow more ground to be covered over without soakaways beneath to maintain the water table.

These are 25 West Sussex priority areas most at risk of surface water flooding | SussexWorld (sussexexpress.co.uk)

It’s dry as a bone in Wiltshire expecting a hosepipe ban any day soon . The fields are full of dry crops a terrible fire risk.

I’ve been down to Dorset and I noticed that most of the fields have already seen the combines :+1:

Yet another generalisation Foxy do you really know that ‘most’ of the university educated children are serving burgers or stacking shelves …….?

What’s it got to do with water anyway ?

1 Like

@Muddy , Thats right, whats it got to do wiv water ??
Can only be a BOT malfunction Muddy!!
Theyve been very busy lately ?? :-1::frowning::frowning::-1:

Hi

I don’t get all this thing about immigration of those prepared to do the low paid jobs being wrong but importing those who do high paid jobs.

This is simply not rational.

It is the exact opposite of the most successful in the world.

You improve education, pay apprenticeships and technical qualifications more.

You do not charge our brightest and most committed

The aquifers are very much of a concern now!!
And as you rightfully say the run off problem is also an issue!

I remember a scooter ride about ten or more years ago to Fontwell, very scenic but what’ll always stick in my mind was the flooding, not just a couple of puddles but seriously wet!

Love Rustington by the way:-)

1 Like

That’s providing it rains !

1 Like

Who really owns our water companies and how on earth did our governments allow this ?

Only because Southern Water is being ‘subsidised’ by Portsmouth Water being persuaded into supplying SW from the aquifers that are in PW’s catchment areas, AND SW are wanting more and more because of their major infrastructure leaks :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I used to enjoy a shopping trip to Rustington until some of the retailers closed down.

1 Like

There’s no sign of rain here in Hampshire with half the county and all the IOW have a Southern water hosepipe ban….

The absolute irony. Water companies say that customers should reduce the amount of water they consume, and that stand-pipes may soon be needed, and yet, they don’t maintain their water pipes.

Massive water leak in Islington as main ruptures…

@Judd , l suppose they could use the water to put. out the fires?? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Souhern Water was recenly fined £90 million. for dscharging untreated
sewage into the sea , Yes, that IS £90,000,000 !!!
I can find no info on whether they ever bothered to pay it ??? :-1::frowning::frowning::-1:

Found what you mean, Donkey, but as you say, nothing about whether they paid.

Did you know that in a lot of areas Blue Badge holders are exempt from hosepipe bans and water restrictions? I didn’t

I didn’t , but I supose it would be hard for a disabled person to tote a watering can .I think I had better go and water my runner beans before the hosepipe ban reaches my neck of the wood .

Water resources update for boaters

This year has seen the driest start since 1976, and the driest July since 1935, with the hot dry weather putting pressure on the Trust’s water resources. In the north, reservoir levels are much lower than usual for this time of year, while in the south, without any discernible rain forecast, we have to be cautious and use every drop as carefully as possible.

This year’s sustained dry spell has come at a time when the Trust is investing many millions carrying out essential maintenance on reservoirs to make sure they continue to comply with the stringent law around reservoirs, so that they remain safe and can continue to provide the long-term supply of water that is so vital to the canal network and boating.

In most instances, the current reservoir maintenance requires water levels to be temporarily ‘held down’ meaning there is less water than normal available for boating. In some cases the reservoir works have finished but the dry weather means they haven’t had a chance to refill.

What can boaters do?
Saving water is a team effort and boaters are by far the best partner we have: your support really is invaluable. We’re asking all boaters to be even more careful than usual to conserve water and to follow boating best practices such as sharing locks where possible, waiting if a lock is set against you, and closing gates and paddles after use.

We’re also asking boaters to report any leaks by calling 0303 040 4040 or emailing via canalrivertrust.org.uk/contact-us

What is the current situation?
Whilst the situation is changing all the time, as of 4 August, 89% of the network is open and fully navigable, 2% is open with restricted operating times, and 9% is closed. A water savings restrictions map is published on the Trust website’s Drought pages.

The following canals are temporarily closing to navigation, or have restricted operating times until water levels recover:

• Ashton Canal – open but at risk of closure in near future
  • Caldon Canal – Hazelhurst Flight currently closed, whole canal to close from 8 August
  • Chesterfield Canal – to be closed from 12 August from Lock 41A to Norwood Tunnel East Portal
  • Coventry Canal – closed from Locks 1 – 5 from 12 August
  • Grand Union Canal, Leicester Line – restrictions at Watford and Foxton from 8 August
  • Huddersfield Narrow Canal – closed
  • Leeds & Liverpool Canal – closed from Locks 30 to 85
  • Leeds & Liverpool Canal, Leigh Branch – restrictions in place for booked passage two days a week
  • North Oxford Canal – restrictions at Hillmorton from 12 August
  • Peak Forest & Macclesfield Canals – Marple and Bosley lock flights closed
  • Rochdale Canal – closed from Locks 1 - 45 (pre booked passages to be honoured)
  • South Oxford – restrictions at Claydon from 8 August and Napton/Marston Doles from 15 August
  • Trent & Mersey Canal – currently closed from Locks 41 – 71. Restrictions in place across summit and Stoke Flight until 7 August. Closed from Locks 29 to 40 from 8 August, with summit and Harecastle Tunnel remaining open

We are reviewing water levels on a daily basis and will introduce water saving measures as necessary. Similarly, if it rains and we are able to remove or lessen restrictions, we will do so straight away. For real time updates please check the Stoppage Notices.

What is the Trust doing to save water?
To help water resources last as long as possible, and after consultation with the hire boat trade and local stakeholders, we started limiting the opening hours at certain lock flights from April to make the available water last as long as possible.

Where a navigation is closed we are carrying on with works to help retain water and, where possible, bringing forward essential maintenance that has been scheduled for this winter.

Last winter we completed hundreds of jobs to contribute to our water-saving effort and we will be continuing our programme of water-saving maintenance and repairs this winter, including targeted works on key locks to help conserve water, dredging waterways and feeder channels, and removing vegetation to help with water flows supplying the canals.

Where can I find out more?
Take a look at the water management FAQs on our website and watch this video featuring the Trust’s Dr Adam Comerford, our national hydrology manager, explaining the current situation in more detail.