Water water not every where

London is running out of water .
A hosepipe ban is eminent ( my garden is dry as a bone )
Huge reservoirs like Lake Mead and Powell in the USA have sunk to unprecedented levels .
Meanwhile Sydney is suffering terrible floods .
Climate change is well under way .
There are more of us and we use more of the precious liquid than ever before and we have less / too much of it .

1 Like

Get yourself up here to Scotland with a couple of buckets. It’s been windy, cold and wet most of June and continuing even now into the “Summer” months. Top temps been about 15 degrees. :frowning_face:

apologies…I completely misread your post and assumed you were in London running out of water! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

So it looks like it’s back to the beer then, how bad is that?

Having a wash in a basin of beer doesn’t sound like fun to me :joy:

1 Like

You would not worry after a couple of face washes

1 Like

Oh I think I would…I’d be stinking! :joy:

Not if you threw in a few Soap Nuts!

1 Like

Water extraction is partly the cause but the ground being covered with concrete and asphalt is the main cause because that causes runoff rather the allowing rain to soak in.
I have large paved areas on my property and underneath are 3 large soakaways so that all rain over my plot reaches the sub soil. This IMO should be a mandatory requirement.

3 Likes

There are regional issues too.
Crawley and Horsham seem to be not so very far from merging into one such is the level of building.
People complain (quite rightly) about the lack of infrastructure, the situation isn’t too good at the moment but the issue of water seems to be largely forgotten.

My understanding is that the aquifers of Sussex once depleted take many, many years to be replenished.
Taking climate change into consideration it really is concerning.

1 Like

Apparently over extraction seems to be the major cause. It now has to supply 25 million people (more than a third of the population of the UK) and various irrigation and power generation projects. I dare say that back in 2000 the population would have been considerably less than today, and their water needs would have been less also.

Yes Chilli, and this is going on all over the country. This is what happens when too many people live in such a small space, utilities become scarce and expensive exactly like what is happening now. Somethings gotta give…

1 Like

Hi

Bob, we are still importing people rather than training our own.

Last night on the ward only 1 nursing staff born here, all the rest were Indian or African, all arrived since Brexit, some with children.

They are all lovely and keeping me alive, however we are still recruiting from abroad and offering bonuses if they come.

This is a nonsense.

1 Like

I agree Swimmy, there is nothing wrong with the imports, very caring and friendly people, but something is radically wrong when we can’t train and employ our indigenous nurses and doctors. Sending our kids off to university is not helping. By the time they leave, they are too old to be apprentices, or too over qualified. The medical profession should be made less expensive to train, and more attractive to the young. Most of the kids round here are serving burgers or stacking shelves in Tesco…So much for a university education…
Hope you are feeling better Swimmy, and they are looking after you…Or they will have me to answer to…
:frowning_face:

@OldGreyFox It seems the demand for burger tossers and shelf packers
is greater than the demand for nurses and doctors ??
Or have l got that wrong ??:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:
Surely burger tossers and shelf packers dont earn more than nurses etc
do they?? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

I just heard the Canal & River Trust are closing more of the Canal waterways from 1st August due to low water levels - they’d already closed some sections in June and some more in mid July.

I noticed some of the feed reservoirs in Yorkshire were empty.

Unless we have rain for “40 days and 40 nights” - enough to float the Ark, it looks like our planned trip on the narrowboat won’t be happening in August, if we can’t get through the locks.

It’s raining today thank goodness we so need the water .

The aquifers are not of much concern now and in the foreseeable future, but flooding from runoff is. The nearest identified areas to me are Rustington and Littlehampton, so in my own way I’m pleased my area is not at risk for the present, but it could happen if councils allow more ground to be covered over without soakaways beneath to maintain the water table.

These are 25 West Sussex priority areas most at risk of surface water flooding | SussexWorld (sussexexpress.co.uk)

It’s dry as a bone in Wiltshire expecting a hosepipe ban any day soon . The fields are full of dry crops a terrible fire risk.

I’ve been down to Dorset and I noticed that most of the fields have already seen the combines :+1: