Water feature splashback modification

I built this water feature a few years ago using an antique, hand carved stone trough, and a period cast iron hand-pump.

Unfortunately I didn’t make the splashback high enough, resulting in loss of water and a slippery path behind the feature.
I had made a temporary parking area several decades ago in case of visitors, using concrete slabs in the shape of replica railway sleepers. The local council have agreed to pay for a disabled ramp for my Uncle/FiL, so I dug up the slabs where it is going to be installed with my trusty SDS drill, and decided they would make a perfect splashback modification.

I first knocked out the old basin retaining wall made of large rocks, and raised the height of the trough to reduce splashability.

I then started to cement in the dummy sleepers, but with bricks of varying thickness underneath to vary the height.

Test run in progress. I think I have got the height of the sleepers just right.

That’s phase 1 successfully completed. I have never been happy with the outflow setup, so I intend to install a gurgle-hole, modify the aperture, and narrow the chute to make the water tumble more.

Work is currently suspended because of the heat which affects my dicky ticker, so I have been instructed by my Lovely Cousin to take a few days off.

9 Likes

That looks great FC :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beautiful! That looks magical.

1 Like

@Fruitcake - It’s looking good so far! Well done, Fruitcake.

1 Like

It’s looking great, Fruitcake!

1 Like

That’s the little trench made ready for where the gurgle-hole is going to be fitted. I prefer to shop locally, so I nipped down to corner gurgle-hole shop in the village, and luckily they had the exact size I wanted in stock.

Dry run. Gurgle hole fitted, outflow setup modified with “letterbox” aperture, and chute narrowed with more prominent weirs.

Wet run. Perfect!

Checking the gurgle-hole.

Widdershins about, exactly as planned.

Anyone for chess? We bought a pair of these to use as planters, and boy are they heavy.

… and that’s it, another project finished.

5 Likes

It looks stunning @Fruitcake , well done! :grinning:

1 Like

@Fruitcake - absolutely lovely!

1 Like

not trying to be rude
look great but could be misconstrued is leading to a burial site. that was my first impression anyway

1 Like

Brilliant… I love it. I could do with you in my garden for a few weeks :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s rather lovely … and if any ducks hear about it they’ll be over.

Honestly, I could sit and relax there all day.

1 Like

What a strange thing to say, it is a beautiful winding pond with a lovely olde water pump.

All FC’s own work and garden to be proud of.

1 Like

It looks lovely, well done.

1 Like

Its gorgeous! So much work in it…it reminds me of a japanese zen garden, so peaceful and pretty!

2 Likes

Just the way my mind works, Mags