Watching 80s music in particular TOTP

This was an absolute favourite of mine. Very haunting. Always associate it with Lord of the Flies which we were studying in English lit at school at the time. (strange association I know but it’s funny how the memory works)

1 Like

The long hot summer of 1983 when we went swimming and sunbathing by the open air pool at the leisure centre. Sting on the radio singing this (now thought to be creepy, but then wonderfully romantic) song, the smell of tropicana coconut sun tan oil and pheromones in the air.

1 Like

Yes Annie, I agree David Sylvian’s voice is so haunting.
Hope you enjoy this one.
Great film too, Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence.

1 Like

Love this and the film too with Bowie’s fab performance. Very apt given the season!

The Pogues single has never been the UK Xmas number-1, being kept at number-2 on its original release in 1987 by the Pet Shop Boys cover of -‘Always on my mind’ :point_down:

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Thanks Minx some fabulous picks there. I was an adolescent “Durannie” my first concert. Really fancied Simon and looking at him in the video still do. I saw them live back in the noughties and they were very good. He’s a great frontman.

Funny listening to Sheena Easton and that old fashioned lady waiting at home for the 9-5 working man. I loved the one below and probably shaped my womens’ lib views as a teen of strong career women as a model of femininity. I guess I was growing up during the tail end of the liberation movement that was going on in the US and came over here in the 70s. Greenham common and all that and burning bras. I remember when I did start work in an office before I went to uni and boy the sexist attitudes in those days! Men thinking it was ok to grope and talk down to you. Being expected to be the one to make the tea for everyone. So this song glamorises the reality somewhat. Always feel it captures the optimism of that era though.

2 Likes

Love this pogues hit Alice so evocative of Christmas. I saw them in 87 (I think) supporting U2.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

Always love this one

2 Likes
1 Like