Warming the oven?

Our gas oven does that Mart, so it only takes a few minutes to get up to temperature. You could see the gas turn down on the old oven, but I can’t see it on our new oven so I’ve got a thermometer clipped to the top shelf. Mrs Fox says I’m just being pedantic, but she never complains when her Salmon comes out succulent and tender…:cool:

There are certain things, like a fillet of Aberdeen Angus (having done that in years), that need doing properly … sear it in a handleless frying pan on the hob then straight into a hot oven.

But normally I just switch on oven a few minutes in advance: don’t bother with checking how hot it is.

I never clean my face with anything other than warm water. As a moisturiser, I use Bio-Oil, never cream as it dries & flakes.

I do bake and it always turns out perfect. In fact not warming the oven hasn’t made any difference all these years to my culinary output nor has it led to upset tummies. I wonder how much it has saved on bills.

Steak in the oven? Not tried that before. How long should it be in for?

I do like bio oil Dood. But I never wash my face just cleanse with neals yard calendula cleanser. It’s really good for sensitive skin.

Every girl’s magazine would tell you to take make up off at night or the world would end. I’m sure its actually better for the skin to let the natural oils take over. Plus of course if you slap it on like LD then its a different matter. But if you wear just the minimum its likely better to wait until morning. Visions of carry on films of ladies covered in cold cream put me off. Plus I don’t have wrinkles or blocked pores so its all a swindle.

Why tho would you not want your skin to breathe using the night or even why would you even want to go to bed in makeup ?:smiley:
As for warming the oven .This is to get it at the correct temperature needed to begin cooking .It was impressed upon me during domestic science lessons at school which I never fail to put into practice .
Would you put a cake mix into a cold oven ? Or anything else for that matter Annie ?

Or make Yorkshire puddings

I’m talking about the complete fillet …

10 mins for searing

10 mins in the hottest oven

5 mins to rest

It looks like this (and all you need to add in advance is crushed black pepper corns):

This is true, i have never made yorkshire pudding. Yorkshire puddings & lighting the BBQ are a man’s job in my experience.

Oh I see! I thought you meant a steak on it’s own. I had no idea you could cook something this size so fast? Roast beef is something I avoid cooking after a traumatic experience where it went horribly wrong. (bad memory)

My skin doesn’t need to breathe I guess as my lungs do all the work. the worst thing a woman can do at night is wash her face with soap and water. It strips away the natural oils.

I don’t tend to believe everything I read or am told. I guess I am a rebel. I might change my mind about warming the oven if I were to make a souffle which I have never tried. However, I suspect that I may live out my days without having that unique experience.

I can’t imagine what Yorkshire Puddings would turn out like putting them into a cold oven…yuk!

I think I should be the judge of that Annie…Self praise is no recommendation! …:cool:

Haha who said it was self praise?! :smiley: I’ve just made sunday lunch for the family with audible sighs of delight. No oven warming before those potatoes went in for roasting! It’s all down to technique and adaptation.

Yep … get the oil/fat smoking, open oven door, quickly pour in cold mixture, shut door asap. :cool:

= toad in the hole.

Except for when doing Yorkshire puds, or a nice piece of pork, I never pre-heat my oven. It’s a fan oven and gets hot pretty quickly.

I’m going to argue with you on skin doesn’t need to breathe ……of course it does !
I never wash my face with soap and water at night or any other time anyway .

Your argument about not warming the oven ? You wouldn’t have a leg to stand on honestly faced with professional cooks and you didn’t answer my question … would you put a cake mix into a cold oven ?
When we used to have fish and chip dinners once a week when we both went out to work and my son came home from school for dinners I would always have the oven warming to put them in when my husband arrived with them . Keeping them nice and hot in their newspaper while we set the table

yes I do put cake mix into a cold oven. Turns out fine.

You put newspaper into an oven and you’re judging me?!:-D:-D

How can you possibly judge the cooking time of that cake mix ? It’s being heated up in under the recommended temperature for a start!
I don’t understand your reasoning why you don’t follow instructions anyway.
Comparing what you say you do …. I think you might be taking the Michael here for the fun of it … to me putting wrapped fish and chips into a warm oven to keep them hot once again is a case of an argument that holds no logic.
Time to back down I think Annie :mrgreen:

Using my logic is less likely to set the house on fire…!:smiley: