Warm Banks In UK

If Im in the Library to find the book or read I don’t want groups congregating all around me with packed lunches and flasks of tea …tut !

Anyway if you rely on public transport you could get very cold getting to and from these so called hotspots …That would defeat the object.
It’s ridiculous.

2 Likes

I can’t think of a worst scenario of having people around me either and I certainly would not have people in my house .
Still people must do what they can .

Aha. It’s a technical point, but the term “opening up” one’s chimneys would involve getting them checked for leaks and swept as part of the process anyway.

1 Like

Yes, but it costs a lot to do that, it would take ages to recuperate what you pay out by burning stuff for heat

I’ve been tempted this year and looked into it’s about 5 years since ours were used

My fear is that desperate people might start burning stuff in fireplaces with unswept and not maintained chimneys and there could be fatalities from fumes and fire

1 Like

Chimney sweeping isn’t that dear and they’ll do a smoke pellet test and check at the same time. You only need 1 chimney after all as you’ll be living in there.

1 Like

I know. Mentioned it on here a while ago. Old logs, pallets etc from the street, plus stuff that gives off noxious and toxic stuff. There’ll be more housefires because people have forgotten or never knew how to maintain fires. Plus a rise in smog and air pollution.

1 Like

Public transport, which is heated, can be warmer than an unheated home and sadly there are people riding around on busses to keep warm

We’re all going to be living in the chimney? :rofl:

I knew things were getting tough but…………

1 Like

Food banks what next ? Gruel …
Why don’t the government fessup it’s a cunning plan to get us back in workhouses .

1 Like

Not if you’ve a walk to the bus stop then find yourself waiting in freezing conditions for transport to arrive …believe me it can be perishing….Especially for the very young or elderly.
By the time you got home to your cold home you could be frozen stiff

1 Like

For some reason, that reminds me of the old joke about the prize winning pig with three legs. When someone asked the farmer what happened, he replied “well, you don’t eat a pig like that all at once”

1 Like

As I remember public transport isn’t that warm ,train doors are always opening and letting cold air in.

2 Likes

It’s relative, you sit in the middle away from the doors and it’s warmer than an unheated house

1 Like

I once managed to heat a room up, using 7 candles, strapped together with tape at the bottoms. They have to be watched, obviously, and there is the open-close door handicap, naturally, but it worked.

I can’t believe that we are even driven to “Warm Banks”, in the UK, in the 21st century!

Hi

We have come to expect a certain standard of living.

This is a false assumption.

We sold off our assets to keep tax low and our assets are now owned by others who can set the price.

Exactly

These malls are pretty responsive too, the local one added some low chairs without arms and pensioners complained that they could not get up out of them so they were almost immediately replaced with higher chairs with arms and a small table similar to the ones in the food court.

That’s nice…I don’t hear much about kindness in my neighbourhood / district!

This sort of thing may become a touch more prevalent, suggesting perhaps that public warm bank areas may not be all as available as one might hope.

I bet they start charging for these warm banks as they get more popular. Just to cover costs, yknow :roll_eyes:

1 Like