War and Peace Leo Tolstoy - would you recommend it?

Has anyone read this book? Would you recommend it?

1 Like

Hi VC

I read it a few months ago and enjoyed it very much. I would recommend it as some of the writing is superb.

However, it can be hard going (the war scenes particularly) you might find yourself skipping through these a bit. A scene which would take ten seconds in real life can be twenty pages in the book.

Fortunately, I did see the BBC series before reading the book which gave me a head start on the names. Some characters are called by different names such as Pierre/Peter and Nicholas/Nicolai etc.
I actually wrote a list of the names and who they were which helped. I’m not sure if I could have got through it if I hadn’t seen the series. There are some differences between the two but they are very similar.

If you don’t have the BBC series look it up here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3910804/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Click on the cast pics for a bigger picture which might help put faces to the names.

Give it a try you will definitely feel you have achieved something if you finish.

Oh and btw, An ‘a’ on the end of a surname shows it is a woman ie:

The daughter of Count Rostov is Natash Rostova

What did you decide in the end VC?

I watched the BBC series, to see what the fuss was about
I thought it was a first class production but a tedious, over long story. I’m glad I didn’t waste my time trying to read the book

Oh, and while we’re at it, same sort of comment goes for Les Miserables

Yes, I know a lot of people love Les Mis but I thought it was just OK.