Walking Football Anyone?

Does anyone take part in this type of game? I know there are groups in my area and they are very popular for men over 50. I’m not sure if women play too?

Quote…Walking football is different to regular Association Football in many ways and is aimed at the over 50’s age group. Many tournaments are now catering exclusively for the over 60’s age group.

It has very specific rules that outlaw all running and allows no contact between players. Over-head height restrictions and indirect free kicks ensure that the sport is played safely with full consideration to the participants’ age.

Teams are either 5 or 6-a-side. As a result of these rules, games are played at a slower pace, often on state of the art 3G artificial grass pitches, thus reducing the threat of pain, discomfort and injury, with players briskly walking through matches. This allows people who have loved the sport all their lives to once again safely get back to playing and also introduces the sport to people who perhaps have never considered playing before.

1 Like

Never heard of that, Art, it sounds good though. Not something I would do.

There’s a team or two play this at our local football pitch, both men and women play. I see them turn up on Sunday afternoons all looks very friendly and they are getting a bit of a following by looks of it a few returning fans each week. I was almost tempted to go and see it myself when they said they had hot chocolate and biccies at half time, that beats a manky bit of orange any day :mrgreen:

Hi

They have it here, but indoors, very popular and yes the ladies do play.

I have seen it on TV only but it looks like a good idea, if it gets people out and still provides a bit of exercise. What I can’t get my head around is at what point does walking become running?

I know this is meant to be serious but it’s making me giggle!
It reminds me of a Monty python sketch :lol:

It could end up like that. :lol:

I’ve never heard of it before, it sounds interesting … I would have liked to try that a few years ago :smiley:

There’s definitely running going on!!

Well that’s what I thought but who am I to say?

What’s this? Self doubt??? :shock::shock:

Errr… No! They were running dammit!! :mrgreen:

That’s better!
They were definitely RUNNING!! :043::043:

That’s what I thought too, Ruthio! :smiley:

Same here - for ladies and gents, both indoor and outdoor.

I think, it’s referred to as ‘briskly walking’! :slight_smile:

Our local football club Eastleigh, struggling in non league, have been playing this way all season!! :-):-):slight_smile:

I first heard about Walking Football when l joined the U3A recently. It’s one of the groups you can join.

Dare ya, dare ya… :smiley: