Walking a labyrinth

Not quite sure where this topic fits, so I put it under health.

Yesterday, I joined a friend of mine who is a Keeper of the Labyrinth and walked the labyrinth–a lovely serene event for a gloomy Sunday morning. I haven’t done something like this for awhile so it took me some time before my thoughts settled down and I could focus on my breathing.

Wonder what others do for meditation practice or what ways do you find peace in a world that seems nosier and more chaotic?

2 Likes

I do belly dancing yoga and attach the many weeds in my lovely Garden…I phone good friends and just chat loads…my love of music is my main love so although I have a nice Guitar the sounds I make are not nice…hey ho…Life is hard right now so I find humour as my saviour in fact

2 Likes

So now I have this vision of you belly dancing in the garden, with a garland of weeds sweeping around you like a huge swirly skirt! :smiley:

1 Like

DianneWoollie is this what you do.

I dance as well, though not belly dancing. I find it really helps release a lot of negative energy.

1 Like

Laughing here… what a wonderfully funny image…

1 Like

Think I’d break a hip if I tried that…

Playing around on my piano and singing out loud .This is my way of escaping from reality for a few minutes a day, finding peace, a real mind-soother.

I get all the exercise I need attending the funerals of friends who did exercise.

1 Like

Lets just hope they died on their feet, doing something they appreciated.

I don’t know about that, as long as they died happy and painlessly.

I was an exerciser and found that off-road cycling kept up fitness of the body and mind. Get into a rhythm on the pedals cycling up hills away from traffic and the mind could go into a kind of meditation. This helped to overcome the effort being put in.

One thought always was that, between now and twenty years time, something would stop me no matter how fit I kept myself. Sure enough, it has. Even so, exercise is good for the body and mind at the time.

I exercise 6 days a week as well as some dog walks. It’s not to live longer, it’s to feel fit and strong.

I was at a quizz night for oldies and it shocked me how unfit and unwell people looked, gorging on tupperware tubs full of beige junk food.

My vice is wine though so that will probably give me diabetes or liver stuff. Hey ho, I want to enjoy life and wine for me is a beautiful product.

1 Like

So was I, I cycled to work (14km each way) every working day for nearly 40 years and rode round Lake Illawarra (36km) at least once each weekend as well as the annual Sydney to Gong Ride when it was a much longer ride than it is now.

But alas all good things come to an end, I gave my bikes to my kids and grandkids who found them vaguely old fashioned but that’s life.

1 Like

If you can get to mid sixties, same bodyweight and mobility as your teenage self, you are doing something right, especially if the journey has not been a chore Imo.

2 Likes

Between the ages 52 (when I bought a bike) and 73 were my fittest years. Must have been fairly fit before that lumping about those big old colour TVs about but fitness was never a thought at that time.

I had to google labyrinth walking

Yes… lots of evidence out there to show the benefits of keeping reasonably fit. At some point, I know there are things I won’t be able to do… but I want to be able to keep moving as long as I can.

Cycling is wonderful—alas, I have balance issues and fall off bikes.

Lovely video. Thank you for sharing it. I would love to go to Arizona and walk that one outside.

The one I walk is a replica of the one in Chartres, France and it’s attached to an Anglican church. It’s inside.

1 Like