Voters, do you know your American History?

I have a LOT of concern for the younger people, ages 18=30, as to how familiar they are with American history. It seems they are not, and do not appreciate the work it has taken to make America what it is today.
The pioneers for instance. No electric, running water, or most of the conveniences we all take for granted. And, no standing Army to protect everyone. No social services, schools etc.
If these things suddenly collapsed, a lot of younger people would be lost, and many would die of starvation, thirst, and/or exposure.
I do not believe everyone needs to have survivalist level skills, but a basic knowledge of how to get potable water, build a fire, gather and cook food etc., is desirable.

Also, in order to grasp the era of the American Revolution, there is one book I recommend very strongly FWIW:’
Revolutionary Summer by Joseph Ellis. Should be in your local library, but is worth the price of a hardcover to give your kids and grandkids.

Peace!

One of my relatives in USA gave me a few books on the Uncivil War, Virginia, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and others. That gave me some detailed history into this.

thank fully NO

Thanks to PBS America on UK channel Freeview we know quite a bit.

I’ve watched a lot of Westerns.

Hahahaaa! Westerns may as well be fictional in many cases. They are so full of hyperbole.
What is very correct in them is the attitude.

1 Like

nothing about how they treated “the blacks” then and the vietnamese and cambodians?? - interfering in the far east?

Likely not. I’m personally unfamiliar with anything to do with those groups during the revolutionary era, sorry I mean no offense.