Vote of no confidence in Boris Johnson - Tory rebels wait for Boris Johnson to ‘blow himself up’

Are there enough MPs to trigger a no-confidence vote?

With three additional MPs coming out against Mr Johnson this week, the total has risen to 27 who have expressed their dissatisfaction with the Prime Minister.

Growing discontent within the Conservative Party could eventually create a movement to vote him out known as a “no confidence vote”.

The party’s Parliamentary 1922 Committee can only launch a vote of no confidence with 58 no confidence letters, and relatively few MPs have confirmed sending one.

MPs who have spoken out against the Prime Minister include:

• Andrew Bridgen
  • Nigel Mill
  • Karen Bradley
  • Caroline Nokes
  • Craig Whittaker
  • Anthony Mangnall
  • Tobias Ellwood
  • Gary Streeter
  • Neil Hudson
  • Andrew Jones
  • Peter Aldous
  • Mark Harper
  • David Davis
  • Andrew Mitchell
  • William Wragg
  • Steve Baker
  • Nick Gibb
  • Tim Loughton
  • Robert Largan
  • Roger Gale
  • Tom Tugendha
  • Douglas Ross
  • Julian Sturdy
  • Angela Richardson
  • John Baro
  • David Simmonds
  • Stephen Hammond

Conservative MPs can force a leadership contest if enough of them write letters of no confidence - the BBC is aware of about 18 who have done so, well short of the 54 needed.

Quite so … :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Those who haven’t or won’t are a shameful disgrace and as bad as him

Interesting to see which Tories have a smidgen of decency, though.

My MPs not there, of course :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Nor’s mine … :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

The thing is while party gate was going on, the labour benches were filled to the rafters, but when the cost of living crisis was being discussed, labour were almost absent.

Says a lot about labour.

Anyway, this is all yesterdays news, its all about Starmer now.

2 Likes

No, it’s really not :-1:

More whataboutery……

Nothing Starmer or anyone else in the Universe has done makes what Johnson did any better :woman_shrugging:

That’s like saying “Ghengis Khan, what a git he was, so it must be OK for Johnson as our current PM to break the law, and lie to Parliament about it” :rofl:

Starmer is completely irrelevant to what Johnson had done and what Johnson is :rage:

So it’s still about us having a corrupt liar as PM leading us into dangerous times ahead and the equally corrupt defending him :scream:

While the cost of living crisis was being discussed, Labour were proposing a windfall tax on energy companies :balance_scale:

And the Tories were saying it couldn’t be done😲

And now, magically, because the Gray report has come out, they’ve done a U turn and re all for it :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Just to try to buy some popularity back for Big Dog with taxpayers money🤢

I don’t agree with the windfall tax or giving people free money. The government should have removed the green taxes from fuel and reduced corporation, personal and VAT taxes.

As for Starmer vs Boris, the big difference is that Starmer said he would resign if he was fined, Boris never said anything of the sort.

Starmer is more relevant now than ever, let’s see if he really is a principled man.

2 Likes

A Tory MP has quit as an aide to Home Secretary Priti Patel over the “deep mistrust” created by Partygate.

Paul Holmes said he was “shocked and angered” by revelations in Sue Gray’s report on Downing Street parties.

The Eastleigh MP said his work on behalf of constituents had been “tarnished by the toxic culture that seemed to have permeated No 10.”

Another letter in the offing … :question:

Nowhere near enough letters to force a leadership challenge.

Precisely. I can see the energy companies saying in the future that their dividend payments are going down because of this windfall tax and, with that reduction, their share prices will also fall. Who will lose out on that? Those of us that have company pensions of course.

As for “Every Tory MP” is calling for Boris to quit, IMHO this is just click bait. If this was actually the case it would have already been on EVERY news outlet going including GBNews and TalkTV.

1 Like

Exactly Percy.

There is always this kind of hype, they believe of they say it enough times, it magically becomes true.

1 Like

:rofl: It’s Johnson who’s relevant and should resign because he PM and Partygate has established that he’s deffo not a principled man :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

‘Course he never said anything of the sort because he always knew he was guilty, and intended to wriggle out of it

He never said he’d resign, because he’s an unprincipled snake oil salesman with no shame or morals

I don’t know what sort of twisted logic thinks that Starmer should resign while Johnson shouldn’t just because Johnson never had the decency to even consider resigning in the first place! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

This is my Local MP Paul Holmes. He certainly does’nt represent my views on this party gate saga.He got parachuted in when the previous encumbent scarpered to another conservative seat. "The Eastleigh MP said his work on behalf of constituents had been “tarnished by the toxic culture that seemed to have permeated No 10.” I’ve no idea what “work” he’s supposed to be doing on our behalf, just another wimp who needs to get his finger out, and sort out problems we have locally!! :weary: :tired_face: :yawning_face:

1 Like

My local Tory MP is not on the list posted above.

BIB - I haven’t seen that assertion anywhere … :017:

You think there is a rule for one party leader but not the other ?

Boris Johnson has apologised for being handed a cake he held and looked at in the cabinet room where he was having a meeting.

Why on earth should he resign for that - it was not a party, not by any stretch of the imagination. Johnson never said he would resign, so why should he resign “on principle” ? So there can be a general election, vote for Starmer and have us rejoin the EU ?

1 Like

BIB? Who or what is BIB?
I refer you to your own post no.21:

My post quotes and links to the Tory Express:

I am not responsible for their poor grammar.

BIB Bit in Bold (Internet slang)

@Omah I do wonder sometimes whether you are being deliberately obtuse in your posts. You quite clearly stated you had not seen that assertion anywhere when, quite clearly, you must have because you posted a link to the DE that included those very words.

1 Like

The headline is “Every Tory MP calling for Boris to resign” - no “is”, no “quit”

I am not responsible for your grammar, either.

Oh for God’s sake …

2 Likes