Voluntary euthanasia at 75?

Voluntary euthanasia at 75?

No, I’m not suggesting it :rofl: …… it’s an idea from a new film

It’s set in Japan with a top heavy population of old people and not enough young to earn to support them

So the government come up with an official scheme where over 75’s can ask for euthanasia, to help out their families and society

It’s death by colourless gas, after a slap up meal, spa and beauty treatment if you can afford it, in a communal dorm if you can’t, plus a small amount of money, to spend or leave to your family

And older people without jobs who are non productive feel under pressure to do it

The film isn’t about sick or disabled people choosing to die, the three protagonists are all fit and able

What do you think, would you choose it when you hit 75, or do you wish it had been available when you turned 75?

1 Like

Hmmm, well what about those of us already at least 5+yrs past that use by date? Death plus a large lump sum for family left behind :astonished::point_right::wink::grin::+1:

1 Like

Logan’s Run …
Soylent Green …
Brave New World …
I remember a TV play on a similar theme, years ago, but I don’t remember the title

And probably others … there is nothing new under the sun…

I’ve never understood why there is such a fuss & bother about suicide and euthanasia

You notice that most of the people who are against it are perfectly healthy, just religious bigots & similar who argue from a theoretical point of view, and not by anyone who is suffering
And suicide is messy - either there is blood & guts all over the place, or you do it in private, so no one realises what’s happened till someone notices the smell

I don’t see why there should not be a few suicide clinics around the country so you can turn up, have a few checks, like making your will, ending the electricity contract, cancelling the milk & papers, and so on., then do the deed in a civilised manner.

1 Like

There was a Star Trek episode too, if I remember rightly!

Half a Life (Star Trek: The Next Generation) - Wikipedia.

The thing about this film is the people aren’t ill or in pain, or suffering. They’re just old and lonely and being encouraged to do it because they’re not productive any more, to avoid being a burden

I’m sure people younger than 75 may think of it as a good idea.Not the rest of us though

1 Like

No, I don’t think there should be compulsory euthanasia, but I do think euthanasia & suicide should be easier for them as wants it.

2 Likes

What an awful idea - a lot of people (especially in places like Japan) will feel obligated to do it.

2 Likes

I don’t think it would work in Japan. Culturally, at least in the past, elders are revered. That’s one of the reasons there are so many of them.

Looking at the idea overall, why pick an age? It assumes a person’s value to society decreases over time. For some, wisdom increases with age.

In the future, if bots can do the heavy lifting of manual labor that is now relegated to the young and healthy, the young may not have more value to society than anyone else except for reproduction which may not be as valued in an overcrowded society.

Without the age part, I’m generally ok with the idea of voluntary euthanasia but the voluntary part is hard to determine sometimes.

1 Like