Volcano erupts near Iceland's capital Reykjavik

A volcano has erupted south-west of Iceland’s capital Reykjavik, the country’s meteorological office says.

It is warning the public of falling rocks and boulders, and also landslides as the eruption began at Fagradalsfjall on Reykjanes peninsula.

Scary … but I suppose that the people of Iceland are used to such events … :shock:

1 Like

Not immense, but I would think that the primary concern would be toxic sulfur dioxide gas.

Lots of volcanic activity lately! Halem’aum’au on the big island of Hawai’i has again been active for the last several months.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of ours get excited after lots of quakes in the last few weeks. Auckland sits on 50 volcanic cones so there’s plenty of scope plus Ruapehu, Tongariro, and Whakaari all about due.

Scary!

Mother Nature is impressive when angry!

Lava flows from the erupting Fagradalsfjall volcano, west of the Icelandic capital Reykjavik, on March 19, 2021.

The Icelandic Meteorological Office said “The eruption is considered small at this stage”, estimating that the fissure was around 500 meters, or 1,640 feet, long.

The Department of Emergency Management was not anticipating evacuations because the volcano is in a remote valley, The Associated Press reported. Iceland’s prime minister said it was not currently considered a threat to any towns.

:shock:

It looks like the last ten years of carbon and CO2 saving has just gone up in smoke…:090:

Oh dear, what a pity, never mind.

Lava-spewing Fagradalsfjall ‘subsiding’

Lava at Fagradalsfjall burst through a crack in the Earth’s crust hundreds of metres long and a series of small fountains turned the night sky red.

Icelanders had been bracing themselves for an eruption for several weeks, after the island nation recorded more than 50,000 recent earthquakes.

Meteorologists said the eruption was small and no-one was in danger.

There are a number of live streams on YouTube 24/7. I only ever see it at night though

Drone footage

from 23.30 best

That is just so amazing Warleyron, thanks for posting…:023:

Better tell Artful Todger that it’s just blown his CO2 targets for the next ten years…:shock: Plus a load of other obnoxious stuff…:cool:

That’s pretty scary to watch…:shock:

The power of nature Mags, fascinating to watch but it makes you realise how insignificant we are…

It sure does, Bob :frowning:

I wonder how fast that lava travels down the side of the volcano?

Pretty damn quick by the look of it Mags. Faster than I can run…:shock:

I was watching a documentary about Pompeii the other day and apparently the heat descended so fast that the residents didn’t have time to escape and many perished in their beds.
It was estimated that the temperature rose to 500*C in a matter of seconds…

I don’t think I would like to live in any country that has volcanic eruptions, you could be roasted alive in that temperature … nor would I like to live where there are strong earthquakes :shock:

You get used to them Mags! At least we don’t have snakes and bitey spiders! :slight_smile:

Oh yes, I forgot you have more than your fair share of earthquakes, Ciderman. :slight_smile: That would worry me. :frowning: