Vogue magazine threatens to sue a 200-year-old PUB in a tiny Cornish hamlet because they share the same name - claiming it could confuse

• Hmm, yes, I can see how having a drink in a village pub is going to confuse people into thinking its actually a fashion magazine. I think Vogue magazine ought to do a fashion shoot inside this pub, just for fun and show no hard feelings! :joy:
1 Like

Thanks for posting the PK, so funny.

1 Like

Saw this the other day, the landlord wrote to vogue who wrote back saying that the letter shouldn’t have been sent

1 Like

Many many years ago I was sent a cease and desist letter by a company with a similar business name to my registered one but in a completely different line of business.

I can’t remember exactly why they complained now or what they threatened to do but I sent them a letter with the following reply:

“I note that your actions are dependent on my response. Can I ask what your actions would be if my reply was “F**k Off”?”

I never heard from them again. I think they just wanted to try their luck

1 Like

I found that funny too - especially the Landlord’s letter to them.
I reckon the Villagers of Vogue should send a “cease and desist” letter to the Vogue magazine - just for a laugh!

They could explain that they claimed the name centuries ago, so have more right to use it, and they are concerned that people online might get confused and think they’ve wandered onto a website about an ancient Cornish village when they click on Vogue magazine! :rofl:

1 Like

I think they should try that too! In fact, I read that they were thinking of making a newsletter for the village and calling it “Vogue Magazine” Pushing their luck, but y’know
I absolutely would do it, haha!

1 Like

:+1:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I read that story and nearly fell of my sofa laughing so much at the arrogance of Conde Nast. To think that all they needed to do was to look the village up on Google Earth. Words fail me.

1 Like

Well they first looked up Companies House, so I think they fired off the Cease & Desist letter based from that. The audacity of anyone having the same name as them just sent them into such a hissy fit of outrage, Google Earth checking wouldn’t have even occurred to them. :roll_eyes:

Apple once tried to stop Woolworths using an apple as their logo, they lost. I think they also tried to stop the Beatles Record company being called Apple too

1 Like

Crazy isn’t it? I’m sure I recall Posh Spice (aka Victoria Beckham) trying to trademark the word “posh”
tried to sue or prevent a small local football club from using the name as well. These people, honestly :roll_eyes:

Yes they did - and failed in that too.

1 Like

Companies get very possesive about names, If I were to open a shop of some sort I’d want to call it Roxy’s or Roxanne as it’s my name, and has been for far longer than the fashion shop Roxy has been around. But you can bet they’d throw a fit if I did it.

1 Like

I can hardly tell the difference between a fashion magazine and a pub very confusing. NOT ,

2 Likes

Surely “we was here first” should stop the magazine’s nonsense?