Virgin are rubbish

Currently, I run at: DOWNLOAD 72.33 Mbps; UPLOAD 18.73 Mbps

Zen aren’t cheap but they are very reliable.

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/providers/zen-internet

1 Like

Its cheaper than I’m paying - and I’m paying for unreliable :open_mouth:

2 Likes

The rates for the superfast connection without a phone is £35.99 quoted here so more than I am paying now but worth it if they are reliable. I would have to check their cancellation policy if things don’t work out.

I’ve never heard of Mesh wifi but will look into it. Thanks for the info Omah. It’s an old house with lots of nooks and crannies that wifi doesn’t like.

Thinking of just getting a very long ethernet cable… :grinning:

1 Like

Yup, that would work! :joy:

1 Like

https://www.zen.co.uk/resources/docs/default-source/document-library/standard-terms-and-conditions/zen---standard-terms-document-v4-1-030621.pdf?sfvrsn=e86c6c1a_2#:~:text=17.-,Cancellation%20Period,date%20we%20make%20our%20agreement.

1. Cancellation Period
    17.1 If you have ordered the services online or by telephone you have a legal right to cancel an order for services within 14 days without giving us any reason (“cooling-off period”) from the date we make our agreement. For example if your agreement starts on the 1st then you may cancel the agreement no later than the 15th.
    17.2 To exercise the right to cancel, you must inform us of your decision to cancel your order in writing (by post or email).
    17.3 If you ask us to commence the services before the 14 day period has ended, your right to cancel ends, even if you have not started using the service provided. If you use the service before the 14 day period has ended then you right to cancel also ends. If you cancel a service before we provide it, you may have to pay for any work that has been done towards providing the service.
    17.4 If you cancel your order, we will reimburse any payments received from you by the same means of payment. We will make the reimbursement within 14 days of your notice of cancellation unless we have supplied any equipment to you; in which case we will make the reimbursement within 14 days of receipt of the returned equipment.
    17.5 You must send back the equipment or hand it over to us within 14 days of cancellation. You will have to bear the direct costs of returning the equipment. We may make a deduction from any reimbursement if the equipment is devalued as a result of unnecessary handling by you but you will only liable for any reduction in value of the equipment which results from your handling other than required to establish the nature, characteristics and functioning of the equipment.

Omah underneath it says that if you use the service your right to cancel ends. Its a bit like Ikea where you can bring the box back but not if you have opened it.

BT says the same:

https://www.bt.com/terms/post1stsep2020voiceandbroadband

we all hate them

so my question is was the unpleasant guy on the phone right? If you connect a device and that device is switched off at the power supply does having a connection to that device somehow affect your broadband speed even if you are not using it and it is totally switched off maybe off the property even?

Ive been with Virgin for 7 years now , the only thing negative was that they put the price up at £3 yearly , , being on my own now I took the bull by the horns and phoned them told them i could no longer afford the £40 a month for just internet .

I had a considerate lady the other end who agreed it was too much so she offered me £32 a month .
My reply was The new housing estate 2 streets along was getting it for £28 a month . She went and told the manager , and for my persistance and loyalty , it was dropped to £28 a month for the next 18 months ,

So I was more than happy and i kept the high speed , allowing me to watch YT, and stream on my laptop …

Having said all that , I do know others on Virgin the other end of the village have a connection that regular drops out ,

@AnnieS , Do you really need wi- fi in the toilet Annie ??
Donkeyman! :+1::thinking::+1:

Goodness, after reading this I’m going to keep my fingers crossed.

I’ve got BT, internet and phone line included ( calls cost 25p a minute if I use it, which I don’t really) … and just last month got it down from 32.55 to 28.74 a month, on a 2 year contract, liable to an increase in March annually at the rate of inflation.

I have had problems with them in the past though and had to use the chat thingy online but got a £80.00 refund off them.

I need a connection in the room where I work which runs smoothly rather than passing wind.

But actually toilet is a good analogy for their business model. Certainly the whole experience stinks. I spoke to another chap (in tech) who said the first chap (sales) was talking pooh. It doesn’t matter how many devices are connected only how many are simultaneously being used. He mentioned that the engineer who visited had made a note that the router was faulty but advised to wait until I reported another fault. I thought well why not replace the router right away. Anyway this other chap offered to replace the router offered a free booster for a month. I said no thanks I’ve had enough of these shenanigans.

1 Like

I left virgin over six years ago Annie and joined BT. I haven’t had a spot of bother and it costs about £32 per month. Their Wifi is awesome, I can still use the internet in the summer house down the garden. We are out in the sticks and don’t have superfast fibre broadband, but I listen to youtube and watch the occasional movie without any buffering. BT are probably the best when it comes to communications, although they might not be the cheapest. It’s not always about money though is it…
:phone: :telephone_receiver: :desktop_computer:

Well, Virgin Media works for us. We did have BT for a while some years ago and it was awful then. Maybe it is fine now but works just fine for us.

I have been with Talktalk since 2009 when they took over from Tiscali and my contract runs out next week. Never had much problems but a big hike in prices for a new contract. I have switched my broadband and any time calls contract to my energy supplier SSE saving £10 a month. They have a 60 day free cancellation period so I will see how it goes.

1 Like

Some areas seem to be ok but just go to another road and it’s rubbish. Not sure how their network is designed but it seems to have localised outages. A bit of a postcode lottery.

Annie, we have been with Virgin for many years, but never been entirely happy with them. Apart from anything else, they are the most expensive outfit going: we pay just over £40 a month for 100Mb fibre. This is more than we actually need, although we do have several items (TVs, security cameras, computers, etc.) which require more than the standard 10Mb. I think we could manage quite well with 50Mb and have asked them if we could have a reduced speed for a lower charge. They pretended that they didn’t understand what I was asking!

They are generally reliable, but we have had several instances of loss of service. I think the most annoying thing about them is their particularly poor customer service. They seem to prefer customers to follow online instructions and managing to actually speak to someone is difficult.

Another drawback with Virgin is that we have been using VOIP for our landline for years now, through their internet of course. Suddenly, a couple of weeks ago, this became unusable and, after much investigation, I discovered that their router (which had hitherto functioned perfectly in this respect) includes a limiting function (SIP/ALG) which I don’t really understand, but which Virgin claim they cannot disable. What was I saying about poor customer service? Consequently, we’ve had to ditch our telephone landline and now rely on our mobile phones.

Unfortunately, Virgin are the only people who provide fast fibre in our area. Otherwise I’d have been off to a competitor like a shot, and regularly look for what is available here.

The only other option for fast internet speeds is a service provided by Vodaphone using their 5G network, which obviously doesn’t require any cables, but instead provides the connection in the same way as to our mobile phones. Fortunately, we are within their 5G coverage area. Unfortunately the cost pretty much equates to that which Virgin charges. We could try it, but it’s a bit of a risk without knowing how reliable their signal is.

No. I would not recommend Virgin!

1 Like