Virgin are rubbish

So I thought I would take advantage of a black friday deal to move to virgin. What a waste of time and hours of waiting on the phone for nothing! Firstly I was affected by the national catastrophe they had where all their internet services crashed. So the lady I called to cancel asked me to wait 24 hours and try again.

So 24 hours later and for about four days I had great service and speed. Then on Monday it all crashed again and I had the most awful day working late struggling with a connection that kept cutting out. So I had to switch back to my old provider which luckily hadn’t been disconnected. I’d put the box away and had to set it all up again…

I once again I called virgin to cancel they persuaded me to wait and let an engineer check my connection etc. The engineer changed some parameters on the upload/download range. Told me an orange light shouldn’t flash outside. Left the cover off the outside box and next day no difference still cutting out.

So I phoned them again today to say that it wasn’t working and the guy had the cheek to say I had 14 devices connected to it! I don’t even have 14 devices! He then said I simply need a faster speed (ie. more money). I said that’s nonsense I only use one device at a time at most. He said oh that doesn’t matter if you have more than five devices connected for the basic package that is why you are having problems. I told him that most of the devices I have are switched off completely in the day and I use one or at most two devices at the same time. He said they are still drawing power from the box - eh?! How does that work if I have a tv connected that is turned off at the plug socket? Or if the internet on a telly isn’t being used?

Anyway I have advised them to cancel their waste of time rubbish service as I am still in the 2 week cooling off period. Anyone else come across this nonsense?

Ps. forgot to add that they nearly drilled through our roof gutter downpipe when installing the rubbish system. I remembered hearing a shout from the chap outside staying “STOP!” when I went to check there was a hole there but I need to get a mirror to check it isn’t all the way through.

1 Like

No, I’m with Zen.

1 Like

Around my way my local FB group are always complaining about Virgin. Wouldn’t touch them with the proverbial.

1 Like

are they reliable and great for upload/download with a booster such as netgear for hard to reach rooms?

I took advantage of a Black Friday deal last year, and moved from EE to BT. Worst thing I did. I cannot wait to get rid of them. They were sly enough to give me a free 3 months initially but suddenly started charging all sorts of crazy rates that varied every month, so I missed that 2 week cooling off period.

1 Like

I’d like to know more about Zen too

1 Like

I felt the same in general but everyone on work seems to use them and although there is grumbling I was hoping for faster speeds as sometimes it takes a bit longer for me to download because of the shape of the house and the booster being used

Pixie that is exactly why I avoid BT, they are pricing sharks!

1 Like

does anyone know a reliable and trusted app for the laptop where I can check the MB/S I currently have for uploads/downloads?

Wish I’d known that before! I’m so mad at them, and even their online “chat” provides no clear explanation! Twice I have tried to get some sense from them, and its all gobbledy gook. :roll_eyes:

I switched the phone line to phone Coop because of their shark rates. it was ridiculous what we were paying and they kept changing their contract to remove the free calls we paid extra for!

https://www.speedtest.net/

I’ve used this recently. Haven’t done it for a while, so I don’t have a comparison.

1 Like

The downside to zen according to a trustpilot review is that if you are not satisfied they do not give a two week cooling off period. That is surprising because I thought all contracts gave you 14 days legally to cancel.

1 Like

Yes I thought so too? I’m pretty sure you could push for it if you felt you needed to, but is it worth it?

Currently, I run at: DOWNLOAD 72.33 Mbps; UPLOAD 18.73 Mbps

Zen aren’t cheap but they are very reliable.

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/providers/zen-internet

1 Like

Its cheaper than I’m paying - and I’m paying for unreliable :open_mouth:

2 Likes

The rates for the superfast connection without a phone is £35.99 quoted here so more than I am paying now but worth it if they are reliable. I would have to check their cancellation policy if things don’t work out.

I’ve never heard of Mesh wifi but will look into it. Thanks for the info Omah. It’s an old house with lots of nooks and crannies that wifi doesn’t like.

Thinking of just getting a very long ethernet cable… :grinning:

1 Like

Yup, that would work! :joy:

1 Like