Vinyl records making a comeback

That’s only because no one buys physical disk any more the majority of sales are downloads.

Personally, I have only seen a handful of new vinyl for sale whereas cds are everywhere. Maybe that statement has been put out by the vinyl producers.

HMV have radically changed their stores to feature vinyl recently. Of supermarkets, I notice Sainsbury’s have a decent selection of classic and new releases. And, of course, there’s always buying online too.:cool:

I always buy hard copy, if you go through Amazon they give you the digital copy free, too.

The hard copy in most cases is cheaper by several pounds than the digital copy, as nuts as that sounds.

I have to admit, I haven’t been into HMV for years. So do they sell new material on vinyl as well as re-released stuff?

I’ve still got most of mine, LPs and singles. I stored them in the garage when I moved here 5 yrs ago (tomorrow). The garage is detached with no heating, so I hope they’re ok :confused:

They are in a box, off the floor and covered with a blanket. I keep meaning to check them, as there is other stuff in there too, but I’m frightened spiders might be around :shock:

They do, Longdogs. I think most new albums are released on vinyl again these days. It’s really taking off. Whether HMV stock them all I don’t know. You may have to go online for some of the more ‘selective’ or underground records.:cool:

Having worked in the recorded music industry for over 20 years, including 8 years with EMI,
I accumulated a heap of LPs (some 10 inch), piles of singles and EPs (45s) and even a few 78s.

Most were stolen in a break-in in the 80s and I then gave away a pile to family, friends and op-shops.

Many of those I have retained are marked as ‘samples’ - meant to be given away to radio stations.
I am told that these ‘samples’ now bring higher prices than those bought in shops.
Most have never been played.

I also have a number signed by the artists and also quite a few (including boxed sets) which were never re-issued in later formats.

I would be disposed to sell the lot (probably to a dealer) but suspect I would do better individually.
A lot more time and trouble though.

Have never used E-bay, Amazon, Gumtree or any of those and would prefer not to.
Which leaves me with the question of the best way to go …

Vinyl did have a kind of warm less clinical sound than cd’s. However, this can be emulated by adjusting the EQ.

I use hi-def music players these days. I tend to buy the cd and then rip it to a FLAC file. Although I’d still never get rid of my full blown hi-fi system.

“FLAC file is a file which contains audio samples compressed with the FLAC audio encoding algorithm, which is a very good, open source, lossless, audio codec. Unfortunately FLAC is not widely supported by hardware vendors, so it can happen that your MP3 player won’t play FLAC files.”

I currently use a Cayin i5 and Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones.

http://en.cayin.cn/products_info?itemid=87

Then don’t ask me to come and help you look!! :shock:

I won’t go into the shed on our new plot because it’s so small. Just stand on the threshold and peer inside.

ENGLISH please, Fender.

Which part Pummy?..:wink:

The link below may help.
However, if you go this route, good headphones are a must.
Preferably what are known as “Monitor Headphones”. These are designed to not colour the sound in any way and remain neutral. Some headphones (Beats for example) are actually designed to colour or change the source signal by artificially enhancing bass frequencies.

Hi def players also have much higher quality components such as the amplifiers and dac (digital audio converter).
Most standard mp3 players cannot play hi-def or lossless files.

Might as well be in Hindustani, Fender.

Although, no doubt others will follow every word.

You don’t speak or understand Hindustani?..I’m shocked…:lol:

I recorded in the FLAC file format. It takes up more storage space but that’s not usually a problem for most people. Maybe best to record as FLAC and then convert to MP3 if necessary. Some places (Amazon for instance) download music as variable bit rate MP3 files. I think most of us would be hard pressed to tel the difference between that and FLAC.

Information (and translations) about various audio file formats is available for those who want to find out about it. If not interested, just play music in any format and enjoy it. There may not be that much of a noticeable difference between any of them.

I still have all my vinyl collection, including a pristine ‘Abbey Road’. Our grandson tell us it might be worth something, so I’ll leave it to him in our will …along with my guitars.

Most of our vinyl collection has only been played on good quality decks with arms balanced out at 1.5 grammes, so nearly all of them ought to be in fairly good condition.

…I can’t tell a huge difference between 320k mp3 and flac tbh.

However, flac never degrades or loses info when copied. Mp3 degrades each time it’s copied.
So to me, ripping cd’s initially to flac is the way to go.

Good job you haven’t got tinnitus then isn’t it?

Hmm,

Not sure I’m with you Floydy?

Well sometimes the most most hi-tec sounds don’t make a difference if your hearing is impaired.

Ah yes, I see what you mean - sorry.
I think my hearing is ok (afaik)

I am a member of a hi-fi / audiophile forum, but don’t post much.
I find them a bit odd. I like good equipment and enjoy quality sound, but they just take it to an almost obscene level.

It’s as if they spend their time analyzing the music they are listening to, rather than just listening to it - if that makes sense?