Vigil - new BBC 1 drama

What a turn up for the books, a BBC drama that has teeth. Reminded me of Tom Clancy’s “Hunt For Red October”. Excellent 1st episode last night (ep 2 tonight) although some of the trickery employed was, IMHO, a bit dodgy, like the submarine (sorry, boat) - looked to me like a blue whale with its tail cut off and a propeller unit replacement put on.

Here’s the DE’s review for the series.. It’s not based on a real-life story.

2 Likes

Interesting for me as when I was in the MoD I had worked on the Polaris boats. So some of what they talk about I understand.
Been playing what have they been in with the actors.
Agree this is developing nicely

I forgot it was on, but I see good reviews about it today. So I’ll record the 2nd episode tonight but watch the first on the catch up player.

Saw first episode last night fantastic 10/10

Sister staying now so can’t watch episode 2 til she’s gone, underwater frightens her!
So dear old Vera from last night here!

I like the first episode . I love Suranne Jones since I saw her in Gentleman Jack .
Can’t think of anything worse than life in a submarine ( I have been around one ) and it was horrible . Not for the claustrophobic that’s for sure and there is no privacy whatsoever ,
I think it would make quite normal people want to murder someone ,

They are being mean to Gentleman Jack !

I’ve just been reading the review in today’s Telegraph. It looks like we’ve been watching a completely different series to the reviewer :grin: Read the comments at the bottom, they’re good for a laugh.

Not seen it got it on sky+ but will watch this week before episode 3 I also like Suranne Jones and am fast coming to the opinion anything she is in is likely to be good thoroughly enjoyed G.Jack and @Muddy have you seen Doctor Foster she was in very good too.

Totally agree they do some really good dramas

i have just watched the first 2 episodes back to back enjoyed it very much with some twists and turns a good story line. Looking forward to episode 3. how many episodes are there is it just 3 ?

I think it’s 6.
Just off to watch episode 2!

1 Like

Just watched episode 4 and the plot seems to be getting even thicker lots of clues or red herrings and
then another murder.

Will watch episode 4 today

She is a great actress

Must keep off this thread haven’t seen all the episodes yet :grinning:

For obvious reasons, I have not watched this series.

However, having read the reviews in The Telegraph, it appears that the programme lacks quite a lot of realism, at least from comments made by readers who have served in the RN’s submarine service. For example, the ‘wokery’ of the casting and the relations between the female (why?) policeperson sent to investigate the issue and the submarine’s commander, the general presence of a disproportionate number of ‘different sorts of people’ on board, and other things which just didn’t ring true to those in the know.
Then there was the inexcusable lapse of attention on the part of the production staff who failed to notice that in one scene the commander had been temporarily promoted from Commander to Captain (three rings to four), and shortly afterwards demoted back to his original rank without anyone turning a hair! Not the sort of thing that the BBC of old would let slip through the net.

Again, I cannot comment as I have not watched it, but more than one reader suggested that if you want realism, watch Das Boot, which (I have watched it and can confirm) is certainly both realistic and gripping… and minus any wokery!

1 Like

Indeed … “Das Boot” is the benchmark of submarine drama … :+1:

I watched “Submarine: Life Under the Waves” on C5 last night.

https://www.channel5.com/show/submarine-life-under-the-waves/

For the first time British cameras have been given access on board a hunter-killer submarine on live operations. Submarine: Life Under the Waves goes on board HMS Trenchant, a nuclear submarine, on its four month tour of duty to the mid-Atlantic to uncover the reality of life at sea. Living in extremely close quarters the crew are tasked with helping guard the UK’s Trident missiles and keeping British waters safe.

“extremely close quarters” means exactly that - it seems that there is no escape from permanent body contact except in a bunk, which, of course shared (hot) … :scream_cat:

Sounds good, and being a documentary is no doubt far more realistic. I wonder if it’s available on ‘catch-up’!

1 Like

Indeed it is - click the link:

Episode 1

Monday, 13 September

https://www.my5.tv/submarine-life-under-the-waves/season-1/episode-1-7f65d579-0a57-4d40-bce3-0c87c2cf93bb

You’ll notice that Trenchant is somewhat rusty … :037:

The programme was made by World Productions (also made Line of Duty) not the BBC but, you’re right, this sort of continuity cock up is appalling.

Yes it is. Watching it now!