Vet prices have increased

I took my Dog for her yearly Booster this morning , last year it was £34 , Vat of that was £5.67

This years Booster has cost £59 VAT is £9.90inc

Its a big increase for one year ,

Each year I say im not taking her again,but I get a guilty feeling …Id feel awful if she caught anything .

Does Pet owners still take theirs for yearly Boosters ?

Teazle just had booster this and a KC jap.

1 Like

I know you go away a lot so Im guessing Teasle goes in Kennels , and you being a ex owner of Kennels Pets have to have been fully inocculated …
I dont put mine in Kennels so that why I wonder if its worth having her done each year .

I now take Holly to an independent vet for her vaccinations as I presumed them to be cheaper. Last year I paid £39.85 for her booster. This year, last month, I notice it had increased by £10! I was surprised when they quoted the price over the phone for prior payment and thought ‘I don’t remember it being so much last year.’

1 Like

Oscar missed his booster last year because our vet wasn’t doing them because of covid… don’t ask, I don’t know…, so he is having to have two jabs this year two weeks apart to catch up, £65 all in.

1 Like

I don’t give my dog boosters except for rabies ( we travel with him in Europe ) and leptospirosis .
He is an adult dog and had all those important jabs when he was a pup . I believe we overvaccine dogs .

1 Like

Thats what concerns me Barry , If I miss a year then I think Ive been told they have to start as if they not had the vaccines. So its a full on vaccine again rather than a Booster .

1 Like

My step daughter takes her dog to the RSPCA and only needs to make a donation Eliza.
Food for thought.

1 Like

That’s what they say but is it true ?
We don’t get boosters for polio or diptheria .

1 Like

I do although vet prices have gone up here, too.
Two years ago I paid £48 for an annual checkup including two vaccinations and deworming pills which I now pay £60 for after the scale of charges and fees was raised last November. Since Sari was ill I ended up paying £363 to the vet last year. Add to that £140 per annum for taxes and third-party-insurance. Sari set me back £503 in total the previous year. Two years ago the cost of an operation alone amounted to £623.

1 Like

We love our pets , and its the price we pay , although if i think im being robbed thats a concern of mine …

1 Like

Rocky only had his puppy jabs (never kennelled) and he met a lot of dogs and was fine. I personally don’t see a need for annual boosters…

1 Like

Surely that’s a bit like saying you don’t need house insurance because you’ve never had a fire…

Not really, I discussed it with a number of vets and concluded that immunity lasts much longer than a year. It’s not like the flu which mutates every year…

I believe over vaccinating causes allergies in dogs such as itching .
It’s very distressing for the poor animal .
Dogs are living shorter lives these days on average partly I think the unnatural food they eat .
Kibble ,dried processed food can’t be good for a carnivore even the best sorts .
I feed Mungo a variety of food at the moment he is on butternut food which is various cooked meats and vegetable meals . ( it comes frozen ) I also give him raw bones and sometimes kibble but not much just if there is nothing else available .i always buy the grain free ones but even so it’s nutritional value must be nil owing to the high temperatures at which it is processed .

1 Like