Vertical blinds - love them or loathe them?

So I keep seeing vertical blinds either on TV dramas or on home makeover programmes. It seems to be a trend in some parts of the UK.

I can’t see the appeal as I like horizontal blinds. Vertical blinds blow about in the wind and remind me of 1990s office suites.

Do you have these and if so why do you love them? How do you clean them?

2 Likes

We don’t have blinds (or curtains)
Horizontal blinds are better to peek through,I would think :grinning:

2 Likes

Speaking from experience eh!

1 Like

I’ve got horizontal blinds but not for peeking :069:

1 Like

It’s very popular on TV drama.

2 Likes

Have them in all my windows, except bathroom and hallway window, in my current home.

Had them for patio doors before, that was good too.

When you’ve young children and pets, the choice recommended is vertical. As I open windows for just a few months in summer time and they’re material, the flapping in the wind isn’t that bad.

On living and kitchen windows, we also have UV repellent film to prevent troubles with photophobia. Then as mentioned before I’ve got polyester curtains on all windows and doors.

By the way, material vertical blinds are easy to maintain. Twice a year, if required, take them down, out in washing machine on gentle cycle, if weather is good, hang them outside to dry.

A light iron over wet cloth, takes care of links, just hang up again. A doddle.

1 Like

I’m not keen on vertical blinds but I think there are some homes in which vertical blinds work better than horizontal ones.

One of my friends lives in a house built in the 1970s and the bay windows are square and set in a way which makes it difficult to put up traditional style curtains and blinds - vertical blinds work very well on his windows.
Also, he has a large sliding patio door which he likes to have shaded by blinds - horizontal blinds wouldn’t work but vertical blinds work perfectly, as they easily pull across to the fixed side of the patio window to allow you to come and go through the sliding door.

The material of the blind is white but does not seem to get dirty - the material seems to have a protective coating and doesn’t seem to attract much dust. The individual vertical slats can be removed and cleaned when necessary.

3 Likes

LOVE them. In deep sill windows, vertical blinds look great. I like how you can keep them at the angle you want so it blocks the sun from shining in your eyes or so you get the most privacy. Our windows sill are about a foot deep so these look good in them. An entire house fill of matching vertical blinds is nice.

3 Likes

You clean them with a long fluff brush. Whether they are vinyl or material blinds a duster should work fine. A once a week dusting should stop dust from turning into build up dirt. If you want to open the window most can be moved to one side so they don’t flap.

2 Likes

I loved them so much I had two sets specifically made. Black and white, in this style.
images

Made of PVC, easy to clean, a little time consuming but the effect was what I wanted.
The movement was an added bonus, static is a little boring, in my opinion.

1 Like

I ordered vertical blinds last year. I moved, and they are ideal for my glass sliding deck doors. It keeps the sun out in the morning if it’s hot, and I do like the modern look more than draperies.

1 Like

You’ve got striped blinds ?
Is it in a bedroom or one of your main rooms.?

I do not have them now. Back in my younger days. Two sets covering two large glass sliding doors. The effect was rather stunning.

1 Like

Vertical blinds are perfect for sliding glass doors.

1 Like

Were you completely stationary for a whole year? :icon_wink:

2 Likes

Did you mean to reply to Bretrick? They do look like prison bars.

1 Like

We replaced a couple of roller blinds with vertical ones last year. Mrs mart likes them but I prefer roller blinds.

1 Like