Venus And Jupiter Will Appear to 'Nearly Collide' in The Night Sky This Week

But it’s not over yet! In the early hours of 30 April 2022, we’ll have the chance to see Venus and Jupiter ‘nearly collide’ as they appear to move incredibly close together from our vantage point.

In fact, the two planets will get so close in the night sky that they’ll seem to merge into one giant, glowing mass to the naked eye, according to NASA.

Those with binoculars or a telescope will be able to make out the two objects more distinctly. The planets will be 0.2 degrees apart at their closest approach – a little less than the angular distance of a full moon.

The spectacle will be visible again in the dawn hours of May 1, but the position of the planets will be reversed.

Of course, the planets aren’t actually close to each other at all – their orbits will simply appear to line up from our view of the night sky here on Earth.

In reality, the planets will be 430 million miles (690 million km) apart – more than four times the distance between the Earth and the Sun.

Some conjunction … :telescope::open_mouth:

1 Like

I hope to view this spectacle, but of course, I will miss it.

Whenever something like this happens, it’s usually cloudy or raining, and of course, in the early hours……I need my beauty sleep

Few photos are are available on the internet but here’s one:

Venus (lower left) and Jupiter during a close conjunction over Rome on May 1, 2022. (Image credit: Gianluca Masi)