Vaping successes - has it helped you quit smoking?

My eldest Danny used to smoke about 10 cigarettes a day. Mostly smoked during work breaks and after his evening meals (banished to the garden by his girlfriend quite rightly!)

He swapped to vaping about a year ago in the hope of stopping his cravings first then eventually to stop all together.
It seems to be working. I noticed after eating out with the family in an outdoor cafe recently that he took just one or two big puffs and then seemed satisfied for the rest of the time.
He has quite a chunky black one (does the size matter I wonder?) and when I asked he told me the vape flavour inside was citrus and something (I was surprised by the fruity bit which is why I remember that!)
Has any else switched to vaping instead of smoking here? Has it stopped you smoking all together? Do you feel better for it? Are there any cons?
I’d be really interested to read your comments, thanks

3 Likes

I smoked 10-20 a day for about 30 years. I enjoyed it but quit 20 years ago.

I’ve had no craving for a smoke since giving up, but my lung seemed to work better when I was an active puffer.

1 Like

Interesting @d00d
I’ve heard others say things like that.
Like they were never ill, even with a cold the whole time they smoked but contracted all sorts after giving up!

Well done to Danny Rhian :slightly_smiling_face: I hope he manages to give up .
I gave up about 30 years ago long before vaping with the help of a jam jar and note pad.
I didn’t have any cigarettes in the house and when I had a desperate craving I put a slip of paper in the jar with the intention of adding up the slips and working out how much I had saved and when there was enough using the saved money to take my small son for a meal which I did.

2 Likes

Well done you @Meg!
What a great incentive that must have been x

@Rhian Rhian :slightly_smiling_face: I wished I had given up long before then . I felt better but went on to develop health issues including late onset asthma .
Had I not given up when I did it could have been worse.

1 Like

I used to smoke but used nicotine patches as nicotine is said to be more addictive than heroin :icon_eek: and when I got to the smallest patch, I bought extra and then cut them up into half, and then into quarters! Haven’t had one since! :003:

For anyone with lung issues, you might want to look into liquorice (or the tea) - studies have shown it can help repair some types of lung issues/damage :023:

3 Likes

I packed up nearly 2 years ago … and never had a cough in my life but have developed one since quitting.

But prior to quitting I did try vaping and I’ll give it a big thumbs up.
Certainly, they’re not perfect but they have to be better than real cigarettes and tobacco products.
For me at least I liked vaping because it helped me cut down on ‘real’ cigarettes whereas nicotine gum and patches didn’t.
I used to spit out lozenges cos I wanted a real fag and couldn’t wait till the lozenge had dissolved.
You can puff on an e-ciggie but not puff on a patch.

3 Likes

@Morticia
That is great that you’ve cracked it!
How long did you keep vaping for?

I vapped for about 6 months and had reduced down from 20 a day to 6 a day but to be fair I stopped because I went into hospital and didn’t hanker after a fag hard enough to want to wander down endless corridors and stand outside in slippers and nightie.
I just didn’t fancy a fag anymore.

But I do think that was partly because vaping had helped to wean me off them quite a bit, ready to take the last step.

I feel kinda sad and deprived now that I have no vices.

4 Likes

I stopped smoking about 10 years ago, (having started when I was about 15) following a health scare. I used the nicotine gum for about a month, it tasted foul, so no danger of getting hooked on it. There have been lots of times since that I have craved a cigarette, but since I managed not to smoke during 2 of the hardest times of my life, I know I wouldn’t give in to it.

2 Likes

@Maver-rik That’s amazing
There are so many strong willed people on here!

@Morticia I hope Danny goes down a similar route to quitting

And re: vices
I dont believe a word of it!

I gave up seven years ago when I retired having smoked since about 17.
Just decided needed to cut out non essentials to reduce outgoings.
So just stopped. No substitutes used.
Definitely don’t miss it.

3 Likes

Now that takes some willpower. … which I never had

Good for you @Chillie6
Cold Turkey must have been difficult though?

1 Like

@Rhian surprisingly not as bad as I expected. It was breaking the habit of when I would have a smoke which was difficult.

1 Like

My husband smoked cigarettes since age 12. He tried quitting several times but always returned to smoking. Then he got a vape and used it for about 5 years. He gradually decreased the nicotine until it was at zero. Then he quit and has been cigarette free for 8 years and nicotine free for 3 years now.

3 Likes

That great news @Bratti!

Hoping Danny gets there too

1 Like

That’s why I hope they don’t regulate them too strictly …
I think they are possibly the most effective tobacco/nicotine substitute a smoker can use.

1 Like