USA view on Mays resignation 2019

The interviewee is a bit boring but an insight to Mays resignation and her cock ups over Brexit.

1 Like

A good analysis of events - May was lacking as a leader and started the Brexit negotiations from a position of weakness, if, as the interviewee said, she had emphasised a no deal option and enforced that position, perhaps both the EU and UK would have benefitted. As it was, the EU could smell weakness and so, walked all over her, especially as it was known that she was a Remain voter at heart.

Just out of interest -and I genuinely have no idea what the answer to this question is- what have we ended up with that Theresa May failed to get us?

I believe so. I remember watching a TV report, I think it was at a meeting on their turf, in which she was being treated like an unimportant intruder - quite rudely, I seem to remember.
Not only was that embarrassing to see our leader being treated in that way, but also really annoying that she wasn’t standing up for herself and, more importantly, for us.

Nevertheless, her failures should not have provided any excuse for Boris letting us down last Christmas. I had high hopes for him too, especially after May.

Well I suppose we have at least obtained our freedom from the EU, at least nominally.
We can make our own laws and trade agreements without having to clear them with Brussels, though we are still subject to many of their rules and influences, especially concerning N. Ireland. We have also agreed to allow EU countries to plunder our fishing areas, although we give them licences to do so. Even so, it seems that many of them do that even without licences and we seem to turn a blind eye.
In short, we have not obtained the Brexit that I and most others voted for, but have only Brexit In Name Only.
I suspect that had May got her way we’d still be subject to many other EU rules and limitations. In fact, to answer your question, May actually failed to get us anything! It is fortunate that she was kicked out before she had the chance to completely sell us out to them.

2 Likes